Author Topic: "Preferred"  (Read 681 times)

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
"Preferred"
« on: July 28, 2010, 02:49:02 AM »
What does "preferred" mean in various dog classes and titles?  I see it a lot but haven't been able to figure out what it is.  For example, for the VCD1 title I've read that a dog must complete Novice Agility and Novice Agility Jumper or Novice Agility Preferred and Novice Jumpers with Weaves Preferred. What is a "Preferred" class?
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: "Preferred"
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 07:02:07 AM »
Preferred is a class that allows you to jump the dog one height below what they would normally require.  I believe Kerry (Rocket) mentioned doing this w/Trigger. It is generally a popular option for older dogs, but some people do it for younger dogs to reduce the difficulty/physical stress while the dog is getting experience.

If I end up doing JWW (Jumpers With Weaves - class w/no contacts) with Xena, I'll jump her preferred to go easy on her joints.  Her joints are in good shape and her "bad" knee is in full working order, but we'd just be competing for fun so I'd want to reduce the stress.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

GypsyMystic

• Potty Trained
Re: "Preferred"
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 11:21:22 AM »
My husband has been running Gypsy in agility for most of her titles. She's into Exc for Jumpers, but he is thinking about going back to Novice and getting her Preferred titles instead. He said the Exc people are a bit too intense(trying to earn the MACH's and stuff) He wants to qualify and earn the titles, but he wants to have fun with her in the process. She's going to be 7 in a couple weeks, so it might be a bit easier on her too.
Margaret
Gypsy RE, NA, OAJ, OF, CGC  8/10/03
Mystic OA, OAJ, OF, CA  CGC 5/12/06
Stryker Can/UKC CH Winmere Only Time Will Tell CA 3/8/09
Carly  Mystic's baby 7/26/10
Abby  Stryker's baby 12/15/1