Author Topic: Retired Show Boxers  (Read 2719 times)

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Retired Show Boxers
« on: July 26, 2010, 01:14:10 PM »
I think someday I would love to be a 'forever' home for a retired show boxer. Do a lot of breeders re-home their retired boxers? How would one go about finding a retired show dog? How What is the average retirement age?
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Retired Show Boxers
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 01:48:56 PM »
You should talk to Sue...she did alot of research on this before she got Onyx.  :)
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 02:25:08 PM »
Go to show boxer list (a mailing list aka SB-L)...that's how Sue did it...She posted she was looking for a pup.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 02:47:12 PM »
Do a lot of breeders re-home their retired boxers? How would one go about finding a retired show dog? How What is the average retirement age?

I don't think that a LOT of people do this - but some people certainly do.

For bitches retirement age is generally around 6 years of age - once they are finished having litters.
But for both bitches and dogs, they could be available much earlier as sometimes breeders keep dogs that don't turn out quite as they hoped and so they place them in pet homes.
For example, there is a breeder up in Dallas that kept 3 puppies from her 1st litter - and finished 2 of the boys, and then kept the best boy - and the other one was placed in a pet home, and he must have been 2 to 3 years old.
The best way to find out is through friends - so when you start looking put the word out to any of your breeder friends, search websites, or put the word out on one of the boxer lists.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:31:05 AM »
In speaking with several wonderful freinds who are involved in the show circuit and/or breeding I was encouraged to write a post to the SB-List.  I was kinda intimated about doing that, since I know nothing about showing or the culture surrounding it.  After much thought I did it and got some VERY heartwarming replies.  Several replys sent me to breeders who had available older dogs.  Most of them were way too far away to consider very seriously, but right off, Onyx's owner contacted me and she lives in Ill. not far from St. Louis.  I will say, some of the responces were kinda weird.  One lady called me all the way from Utah and was really pushing me to take one of her older puppies! She came off kinda dingy so I walked away from that really fast! :inquisitive: :dizzy2:  I spoke to a lot of people at the Greater St. Louis dog show I attended as well.  I will say, Abe paved my way as many people knew of him from Dr. Coates presentations at ABC.  :) 
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08