Author Topic: Viktor is in training  (Read 1429 times)

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
Viktor is in training
« on: July 22, 2010, 11:36:20 AM »
I have sent in the papers for registering Viktor with both the AKC and UKC under their mixed breed registries so that we can compete in agility and rally/obedience. I have been working with Vik for the past year perfecting some of his obedience commands and upon reassurance that his shoulder is as stable as I thought it was I have started training him for agility. He was already familiar with tunnels and the teeter but now we are beginning the rest. I am thinking of enrolling him in an actual agility class this fall so that he gets practice on a complete set-up with more distractions (as if Laila and the kids weren't enough ;) ) I am trying to decide between two different instructors as to whom I want to check prices with and go through.

It would be great if I had him ready next year to take him to Denver to the UKC show- I have a friend that goes every year and she said if I met her at her house she would cover the travel and motel expense for me to go with her.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Viktor is in training
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 11:38:55 AM »
That's great Kristi!  :2thumbsup:  Is he all healed up now from the bite?
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 11:41:40 AM »
I bet Viktor will be a standout in agility!  How fun!  I'm curious too - is he completely recovered from the snake bite?
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 11:54:27 AM »
That's great Kristi!  :2thumbsup:  Is he all healed up now from the bite?

Pretty much- when his throat is palpated it still feels like his larynx is swollen a little- we aren't sure why. If it remains swollen for more than another week of so he will go back to the vet. Other than that he is good.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 12:20:10 PM »
glad he is recovering nicely from his bite. :thumbsup:  That is great that he will be competing :thumbsup:
Joyce

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 01:18:50 PM »
Good luck
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 02:38:26 PM »
 :thumbsup:
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 06:52:09 PM »
 :thumbsup:  That's great!  I wish AKC had allowed mixed breeds to compete several years ago and I might have registered Artax for it.  He's really smart and enjoys performing, but now with his mobility problems I don't think it would be a good idea to try and show him.  So he's just included with the Boxers in our short private "shows" in our yard, where he's still learning new things at the age of 10.5 and always outperforms both of them.  :laugh4:  Good luck to Victor!!
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 11:53:12 PM »
Do mixed breed dogs compete for the same ribbons, and are they allowed at nearly all AKC shows now?  Someone in my obedience club said something about they're allowed to compete in AKC now but their placings are kept separate from the purebreds, so even if one got the highest score in the class it wouldn't be considered the first place dog in the class, just the first place mixed breed.  Also, I've been reading about the mixed breed registration on AKC's site and it says mixed breeds are allowed to compete if the clubs hosting the show decide to let them, so I'm wondering how many do.  I didn't see any dogs that didn't look purebred at Koda's show.  I'm now considering registering Artax, it's only $35, I'm sure he could easily get at least an RN title, that little bit of walking around a ring wouldn't hurt his legs much and he would enjoy it, especially if people clapped for him at the end.  Oh how Artax would soak that up.  :laugh4:  Seems like it would be a neat thing to do for both of us, especially with him being nearly 11 years old and not having been through any obedience classes.  The main problem would be breaking him out of the habit of heeling on the right as I've taught him so I can teach younger dogs to heel on the left and walk him at the same time, but he used to heel left so it shouldn't be too big of a problem to revert.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:56:16 PM by Lisa »
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 06:08:00 AM »
I bet Vik will be awesome...hope he continues to heal from his bite...
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&