Author Topic: strange  (Read 3354 times)

HeartBeatAtFeet

• Potty Trained
  • Always with us Madden
strange
« on: July 19, 2010, 09:33:14 PM »
This is the first time we have seen this...

Dakota was outside on the grass when she all of a sudden started nudging the grass with the tip of her nose in long triangular strokes..    we just stood there and watched her do the same thing over and over for about a good 2-3 minutes...  it was the strangest thing I have ever seen her do.. 

Has anyone else expierenced this?   I know it sounds crazy but its also hard to explain...   
Megan

Dakota: Flashy Fawn - 3-28-06 
Sir Tumbles (the cat)..   rescued..  6ish years old
R.I.P. My Madden..  We miss you so much!

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: strange
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:39:44 PM »
HaHa! Yup, seen it many times....it's usually the motion Rubi makes right before she decides to flop on her side and roll around in some strange animal's poop. :barf:
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:42:39 PM »
Was she maybe trying to bury something?  My guys will sometimes do it with their food bowls.
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 10:06:04 PM »
Not sure if it's the same thing, but it sounds similar...Otis does this with his food bowl when he doesn't want to eat it. It kinda freaks me out.
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

HeartBeatAtFeet

• Potty Trained
  • Always with us Madden
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 06:32:32 AM »
Yeah  Im not sure - this wasnt near her food or any other dog poo..  just in the grass - it was if she was grazing her nose along the tip of the grass very gently but consistant..   non the less - it freaked us out  LOL 
Megan

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 06:54:50 AM »
Itching maybe???
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 08:48:42 AM »
Yeah  Im not sure - this wasnt near her food or any other dog poo..  just in the grass - it was if she was grazing her nose along the tip of the grass very gently but consistant..   non the less - it freaked us out  LOL 
It coulda been urine from another animal - possum, rabbits, etc. Usually it's poo for Rubi, but there have been times she does it when there's nothing there, so I kinda assume it's urine in the grass.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

HeartBeatAtFeet

• Potty Trained
  • Always with us Madden
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 09:31:16 PM »
Well that just night be the case with it being urine or another animal.. We are having a woodchuck invasion!!   They are living under our shed.  We put up a have a heart trap and so far caught 4.   We still see one running around so it just may be him..

Thanks for all the input guys..
Megan

ssjTiamat

• Just Whelped
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 12:58:29 PM »
This is the first time we have seen this...

Dakota was outside on the grass when she all of a sudden started nudging the grass with the tip of her nose in long triangular strokes..    we just stood there and watched her do the same thing over and over for about a good 2-3 minutes...  it was the strangest thing I have ever seen her do.. 

Has anyone else expierenced this?   I know it sounds crazy but its also hard to explain...   

I know this is an old one, but I was going to ask about the same thing and decided to look at the past postings. Funny, my dogs name is also Dakota...  :thumbsup:

Anyway.. I noticed her doing this before and for the first time a couple weeks ago I finally saw her do it to an area that had a dead and rotting squirrel carcass on it. Of course once I noticed what was going on I pulled her away but it is not the first time I have seen her act this way. Just today on our morning walk she started doing it to some poop that belonged to some weird animal (it did not look like any poop I have seen before anyway).

So what is the reason for this? Why in the world would a dog find it necessary to run their head, face, neck, and entire body onto the scent and remains of such gross things? There has got to be a reason for this and if I ever find out I will let you all know right away. It just seems like the strangest of the strange behaviors that there can be.