Author Topic: Protective instinct?  (Read 554 times)

MarMar75

Protective instinct?
« on: May 04, 2007, 09:47:31 AM »
I have a question about Marley's protective nature.  She has always been vocal when someone comes over, not when they come in but just letting us know when someone arrives. I have always liked this because we live in a rural area and I am home usually during the day with little ones.  Well her temperment is great and she has been around kids her whole life since I at one time had a home daycare, but it is around other dogs that I sometimes worry.  I really think it is the owners of the other dogs that make me worry so much.

When a dog comes close to our yard and Marley is outside she runs as fast as she can and tackles the other dog.  I think it is just rough boxer play because she has that growl going on and boxers just play rougher than usual.  It drives me crazy though when our neighbors are walking with their dogs (not on leashes) and they come in my yard spraying and doing their business lol and then look at me like I have a dangerous dog.  We have another neighbor who keeps their little dog inside but just lets their bigger chow mix roam the neighborhood. Maybe I need to try a fence again even though Marley can clear it.  Sorry if this has turned into a neighbor vent  I actually like my neighbors but just wish they would be more responsible. Marley is never outside unless we are or she whines to go on the porch which has a gate.

So I really want to know if this is something I should be worried about or is it just rough boxer play on her part?  And are there others like this?  (She did really well when we dog sat a friends boxer although I did feed them separately because she is very alpha).  They both got along great inside the whole time.  It was so funny, every time I opened the pantry I had 2 wiggle butts wanting a treat, and following me everywhere.  Made me want another one of course lol.

Thanks in advance!

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
Re: Protective instinct?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 10:50:46 AM »
I really couldn't say what her intentions are. It could be that she is overly excited, but that sort of behavior can quickly turn into a fight. I personally would never have my dogs in the yard without being confined in some way. Dog fights, mean people, traffic, and so many other things to worry about!

It sounds like she hasn't been sociallized very much with other dogs, and that might just be something you want to focus on. Try taking her to an obedience class, or if you think it's safe visit a dog park. It would be good if she could meet dogs off-leash in a neutral area. It sounds like maybe she just hasn't learned how to properly greet a strange dog.
Amber

MarMar75

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 11:28:30 AM »
I guess we will try the fence again and see how that goes.  As far as dog parks there is nothing here but I will check into obedience.  She has been socialized with some dogs  but I am sure not enough which is my fault. 

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 01:20:25 PM »
She reminds me of Goofy...he has a bad habit of bothering new arrivals, ppl and pets.  I have to confine him until he calms down and then it still is under supervision.  Goofy has not been well socialized with other doggies...why, because I guess I was too lazy to do it. I have tried a few times but it isn't much fun for him or me.  So he is just a stay at home pup with a confinement area when ppl arrive and until he calms down, which he will do, eventually.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&