Author Topic: Illinois Steps Forward with PUPS for Pups!  (Read 2069 times)

Miguel

• Funniest Member - 2008
  • Socialized
  • I'll Woo Woo You!
Illinois Steps Forward with PUPS for Pups!
« on: May 28, 2010, 12:20:18 PM »
I am proud to say that my state of Illinois is starting to move forward for the protection of animals and the fight against those horrid puppy mills. From time to time, I go and volunteer at PAWS animal shelter. Today, I got the following email!

Dear PAWS Chicago Volunteers,

Senator Dick Durbin will be holding a news conference TODAY at 2:30 p.m. on the rooftop garden of PAWS Chicago's Adoption & Humane Center!!!! 

Please attend if you can!  Please get to the center by 2 p.m. at the latest, if you can attend.

You can bring your dog as long as he/she is dog & people friendly, as there will be many other dogs and people at this event. 

We want to support Senator Durbin as he introduces important federal legislation to help crack down on puppy mills!

Senator Durbin (D-IL) will hold a news conference on our rooftop garden to discuss legislation he introduced this week in the U.S. Senate to close a loophole often exploited by large, negligent puppy breeders.  The bill seeks to correct the failures of the unregulated and often hidden elements of the puppy breeding industry where puppies are housed in cramped, unsanitary and inhumane conditions.  The dogs raised in those substandard facilities often suffer serious health problems and, tragically, many die as a result.

Current law does not regulate, license or inspect breeders who sell puppies over the Internet, yet online sales now bypass those of retail stores.  Durbin's Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety (PUPS) Act requires licensing and inspection of dog breeders that sell directly to the public and sell more than 50 dogs per year and also requires that dogs in commercial breeding facilities have appropriate space and opportunity for daily exercise.

Earlier this week, USDA's Inspector General released a report critical of the government's handling of puppy mill investigations and supportive or Durbin's bill.

Durbin will be joined by several dog owners and animal welfare advocates.  We hope you can join us!!!

Please arrive by 2 p.m.

On another note, thank you for all the calls you made for the consumer protection legislation that passed the House and Senate unanimously this week!! To ready more about this state legislation, go to the top page of our Wed site or click here:
http://www.pawschicago.org/news-and-updates/pet-store-disclosure-bill-passed-unanimously/

We are truly making and impact for these animals that have suffered in silence for much too long.

Very best regards,

Sharyn Hosemann
Volunteer Program Manager
PAWS Chicago
1997 N. Clybourn Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614
773-687-4715

A little inspiring fact about PAWS: they are working hard to make Chicago a complete non-kill city!!! I believe San Francisco has been the only city that has been able to accomplish this wonderful task. I have my fingers crossed that Chicago will follow San Fran.'s foot steps. Also, Oprah has been a great supporter of the shelter. Along with her donations she has adopted dogs from the shelter and has held several shows to encourage adopting pets vs. buying them. The shelter is very cool and stay true to the cause of saving pets! Their dogs come directly from the city pound - a kill shelter where we got Kalani from - and they have areas to host other shelters/rescues so their pets also get an extra chance for finding a forever home!

Ok, I'm done! Thanks for reading!  :thumbsup: :boing: :partybanana: :thumbsup: :boing:
:hat::guitarist::jester::mickey::smart: Pepino's :cheeky::sombrero::afro::hat2::gag: Rockin' :clown::toff::sunny::straitjacket::mad: Daddy :devilish::antlers::cloud9::party3::drummer:

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Illinois Steps Forward with PUPS for Pups!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 12:31:35 PM »
Good work Mig for your volunteer work.  You are a busy man.
Joyce

Miguel

• Funniest Member - 2008
  • Socialized
  • I'll Woo Woo You!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:40:45 PM »
Good work Mig for your volunteer work.  You are a busy man.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend since I am at work and I don't work/live close to the shelter. Just happy to hear the good news.
:hat::guitarist::jester::mickey::smart: Pepino's :cheeky::sombrero::afro::hat2::gag: Rockin' :clown::toff::sunny::straitjacket::mad: Daddy :devilish::antlers::cloud9::party3::drummer:

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 01:00:53 PM »
I'm glad to hear Chicago is moving toward becoming a no-kill city; I knew euthanasia rates were pretty low a few years back, so it's nice to hear that even in the down economy that's still moving in a forward direction.

The PUPS bill, however, is a nightmare.  It's supposed purpose is to bring high-volume commercial breeders who only sell through the Internet under the auspices of the federal Animal Welfare Act - and that's not really a bad idea, since those breeders aren't inspected by their buyer like other direct sellers are.  However, the language of the PUPS bill means that every single breeder, including all of breeder-members here, would potentially be affected, because having a website or e-mail address with even one mention of puppies automatically means you are selling puppies over the Internet.  The other criterion is that a breeder sells more than 50 puppies per year - and while it's doubtful any of us here would reach those numbers, 50 puppies is hardly a high-volume set-up.  For some breeds, that would be four litters.  However - and here's the kicker - *co-owned* litters would also be included in that number.  So even if you have nothing at all to do with arranging the breeding, finding puppy homes, collecting the money from puppy sales, etc. - the fact that your name is on a litter as a breeder means you are selling the puppies.

Some of the best breeders could easily get caught up in this bill - and the facilities and engineering standards required by the AWA make home-raised puppies impossible.  So the net effect of this "puppy protection" bill will be an increase in true high-volume facilities - those that have hundreds of breeding dogs - an increase in "moonshine" puppies - those raised in the back woods and sold on the side of the road - and the almost complete elimination of well-bred, health-tested puppies from responsible breeders.

Not to mention the significant increase in USDA inspectors that will be necessary, which means a significant increase in funding.  Ironically (well, not really), this bill came around again because of a report that said USDA inspectors weren't enforcing existing laws.  Why people think the answer to unenforced laws is to create more laws that more people will ignore and that will still be unenforced is completely beyond reason.  There's simply no logic to the thought process.  The money that will be spent by the HSUS and others lobbying for this bill would be far better used to add USDA inspectors and institute a comprehensive and thorough training program for them.  (Performance standards for the AWA, rather than engineering standards, would also be a huge boon to the cause of animal welfare - but then it's harder to claim "multiple violations" when you can no longer write breeders up for things like an expired bottle of Benadryl in the back of a drawer, a spot of peeling paint in a storage room, or a missing receipt from a purchase made a year ago.)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 01:07:24 PM by Newcastle »
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store