Author Topic: Resourcing guarding just raw food??  (Read 1409 times)

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Resourcing guarding just raw food??
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 09:40:07 AM »
Sort of the same strategy I use Vicky...but it is Ollie first (he is such a pokey eater except for tripe that I have to force him to eat, otherwise Willie will gobble it up) then Goofy is fed...the 2 littles have to sit & wait until I release them.  Willie always is done first and then waits until I tell him he can finish Ollie's if Ollie has walked away (which he does every day!  It is funny, but Willie learned rapidly that if I put the food, raw or home cooked down he HAS to wait for the OK command..and he also knows that I can at any time I feel like it take it away.)

Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

TobysMomma

• Vet Checked
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 12:25:36 PM »
I totally agree about the leash issue.  It changes things. Dash probably feels that he is not free to run 'hide' this wonderful piece of heaven on earth if he needs to. So he communicates by growling.  He may do much better off leash and with just a few adjustments to the routine but you never know for sure if he might continue with the guarding on some level.

Many of my fosters have come with food agression issues to one degree or another. Some have to be fed in another room untill we work out the basics.  I put the food in the bowl but make them sit and wait untill they are released to eat. I stay with them for the entire meal. I toss some extra good high value treats into the bowl during the meal. This lets them know that when I am near the bowl it is a good thing.  If it is a really serious case I will even start out hand feeding them slowly. Then at various times of the day I practice making them sit/wait for a treat then eventually set it at a distance making them wait for a release command. I use NILF for everything untill they totally get that I control all the resources.

Eventually the foster is fed in the same room with Ajay (by this time we have also worked on the basics sit, stay, wait etc.) Ajay's bowl is put down first but he has to sit quietly and wait for the release command. Then the foster gets his meal using the same routine and I stand in between for the entire meal. Neither dog is allowed to come close to the other if they finish their meal first. They must wait quietly. It helps that Ajay has this down perfect. Eventually the foster learns too and it becomes routine.

Granted I use kibble, not raw chicken but I think the issue and resolution is similar with different degrees of intensity. To some of these fosters a bowl of kibble is extremely high value so it can be an intense reaction when they guard their food.

Please Support Boxer Rescue
http://www.ncbr.org/ca/index.php
Lori Momma to Ajay, Bo and current foster girl Blanca
Toby and Ayla forever in my heart

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 12:43:32 PM »
GREAT advice Lori!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »
Update:  I've fed meals leash-free since this and worked on some "give" commands using chicken quarters (easier for me to hold the leg) and Dash has been an angel since. A couple of times I made him sit by the deck steps because I thought he'd be done first, but Xena ended up finishing first. I made her walk with me back to the deck and Dash moved away a little, but I think that's reasonable.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 03:15:35 PM »
Another quick update - Dash is doing well... he's obviously not thrilled about giving back the chicken, but he does it.  And the glove idea worked out great -- thanks Claire!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12