Author Topic: Elliot...  (Read 739 times)

ChristineSoCal

• Fully Weaned
Elliot...
« on: May 11, 2010, 11:24:12 AM »
I just read through the sticky post on Resource Guarding and have learned alot, thanks.  I plan on getting a couple of the books listed.
We had an incident last night over a bully stick.  Just a reminder of Elliot's background.  I got him from a BYB, my neighbor bought his sister and Elliot was the last one left. I couldn't leave him there.  He lived with a friend for 4 months until she was diagnosed with cancer and could no longer care for Elliot and he cam back to me at 8 months old.
Elliot went after Dixie  (terrier mix, ~15lbs)  and totally freaked me out.  I keep an eye on them while they are enjoying their sticks because I know Elliot can get possessive.  I thought everyone was done but I guess Elliot still had a little piece.  I am assuming Dixie went for it (my back was turned) and Elliot went after her.  No wounds or blood, but we are all a bit upset.  I broke it up and now Dixie is petrified of Elliot. She has been under the bed since the incident.  Rudy stayed out of it. 
Elliot is definitely alpha and gets a bit pushy around food.  No one is allowed in the kitchen during meal prep and Elliot is learning "go lay down" which means he has to go to his bed. He also has been showing signs of aggression at the dog park and while on walks so I hired a trainer.  He has been doing great, I am so proud of him.  He is a very smart boy.  It is still to early out here on the West Coast to call the trainer. Tonight's lesson should be interesting.
My sister lives with me and is extremely upset over the incident.  She is slightly disabled and feels that if Elliot was to "attack" Dixie or Rudy when I wasn't there she would not be able to break it up. 
I feel there is hope for Elliot, but I'm not sure my sister feels the same way. We will have a long talk tonight with the trainer and get his professional opinion.
Thanks for reading this long-winded post. Please let me know your thoughts on Elliot. 

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Elliot...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 11:30:20 AM »
Wow...I have to say, I would separate them whenever food is around.  I had a similar issue with Goofy going after Willie, and the high value item was me!  I have to keep them apart when food is around, or bullies.

I wish you luck and hope you are able to help Elliot.  Good luck
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:33:50 AM »
Get your sister actively involved in his training so she feels more confident about her ability to control situations like this!  Help her learn how to recognize potential outbursts and how to avoid them in the first place.  I would just  NEVER leave food items out for the dogs if she is alone with them.  I'd also work hard on teaching 'leave it' to Elliot and find distracting tasks for him when it looks like he might get snarky with other dogs.  He might just be going through that brat stage we all know so well. But I sure wouldn't let him get away with anything!
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

ChristineSoCal

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:50:25 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies and suggestions.  Great advice about getting my sister involved with the training, she does need to develop confidence that she can control any situation. During last week's training session the trainer had her walk Elliot around the neighborhood and they both did great.  With the trainer on biard already, I think we can work throught this...

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:54:42 AM »
I think it's great that you have a trainer already! I'm sure she will be able to help with Elliot's issues. Good luck and keep us posted!  :2thumbsup:

When we first got Abby she was very touchy with food and toys. It took alot of work but she is 100% better now, she has a solid leave it command for anything food that is not hers or any food that might fall on the floor.
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

ChristineSoCal

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 05:20:03 PM »
The trainer feels that it was a one time argument between Dixie and Elliot.  He feels that Elliot was rigthfully protecting what was his.  Dixie is still slinking around the house and especailly in front of Elliot, her tail is tucked and her head is down.  I think Elliot is confused as to the reason Dixie is acting like this. This morning he invited her to play by bringing her a toy but she wouldn't budge.
Before I leave for work I give the pups their vitamins.  I made sure everyone was in their place and Elliot kept his eye on Dixie the whole time - it made me uncomfortable.  Looked as if he was ready to pounce if she made the wrong move - scary.  I made him lay down and focus on me.  Could he be worried that she will try again to take food away from him again? From now on I will feed Dixie and give her treats away from Elliot.
I going to start looking for a behaviorist or a trainer familiar with the type of situation I am currently going through.
Thanks again for your support!