Author Topic: Roachbacks...  (Read 5953 times)

Mom2three

• Fully Weaned
Re: Roachbacks...
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 01:16:34 PM »
Heres the pic I took of when I stacked him a couple nights ago...He doesnt look skinny in the pics but when you see him in person and get your hands on him you can feel and see almost everybone in his body :(

And heres another

Again sorry for highjacking
*~Cindi*~ mom to Remi (7*28*10) and Reeko (3*29*07)

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 01:29:08 PM »
I'd not rush it. It took a long time to make him look like that, it should take just as long to put the weight back on. If you're seeing loose stool, it's because you've gone too fast. Just feed him an extra quarter cup per meal and increase his meals to 3-4x per day and he should be fine.

He does look skinny to me in the pics. I don't want to see the shadow before his hips, nor that last rib. That said, I don't see spine, which is good.

When you're stacking him, don't worry about his tail. Use bait, and work on getting his head positioned prior to worrying about the tail. Getting him to lean into his front a bit more will also help the topline issues.
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 06:43:35 PM »
He does look like he can use a little weight and that will help fill him out, however he looks to have a break in his topline and looks like he falls off at the croup a bit.  Again he is not stacked how you normally would to firm up my comments on his structure, but from the photos thats is what I am seeing, and not sure weight will fix it. 

Glad you have him back Cindi!!!   
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Mom2three

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
This was a pic from just before I rehomed him

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 11:57:47 AM »
He does look like he can use a little weight and that will help fill him out, however he looks to have a break in his topline and looks like he falls off at the croup a bit.  Again he is not stacked how you normally would to firm up my comments on his structure, but from the photos thats is what I am seeing, and not sure weight will fix it. 

Glad you have him back Cindi!!!   

I agree with Heather, these issues are still apparent even in the before picture where he's at a better weight.
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 04:49:30 PM »
He's posting in the second photo, meaning, he's rocking back and not really leaning down and into his chest. Using bait will help to correct this. Getting him to lean into his chest is would be the human equivalent of the "head up, chest out, shoulders down/shoulders back" they teach in achieving correct posture. Don't worry about his tail--you work on the tail later.

From a construction perspective, he is a bit high in the rear (caused by his fairly straight stifle) and has a low tailset. That said, it's my understanding that you're just looking to show him presently, and working on the things I've mentioned above, plus getting a bit of weight on him will help hide these things.

With that said, these issues will become noticeable again when you move him, and there's not much you can do about that, other than find a speed that best minimizes it and keep his head up while moving.

While my girl is posting a bit in this photo as well, mostly, she looks the way she should when stacked appropriately.

Hopefully this helps.
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

Mom2three

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 09:25:56 PM »
Thanks Jess! Im not really looking to get into anything serious with him as I know he probably wouldnt do well lol.....I just thought of going into some smaller local shows just for fun :) Gives me something to do...maybe when the kids have grown and I have more time on my hands I will purchase a show pup from a good breeder and really get into it....until then its all for fun  :yes: If he does good then great if not thats ok too.....wont upset me lol

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Lucky annd Star both have roach backs.  Star's is really bad, he is just horrible in the conformation department.  Is there any way to improve the roaching appearance?  Are there problems associated with it?  I know Star has horrible spondylosis, is that associated with roaching?
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 01:26:37 PM »
Star's is really bad, he is just horrible in the conformation department.  Is there any way to improve the roaching appearance?  Are there problems associated with it?  I know Star has horrible spondylosis, is that associated with roaching?

I wouldn't be surprise if the spondylosis is not contributing to the problem. I know that problems in the rear end will often cause a dog to appear roached when actually they aren't so would think that a spine problem could well do the same thing.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 03:41:44 PM »
Here are a couple pictures of Star from the side, he wasn't too happy about getting them taken, but he has an obvious dip midway down his back, and then the spine sticking up.  We are trying to get weight on him, it has been a constant battle!

Here is one of Lucky, his roach isn't as pronounced as Star's, but it is there

Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Mom2Rocky

• Fully Weaned
    • Wild River Boxers
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 11:18:27 PM »
I'm not sure what to call Rocky's back.. It isn't straight though.. I was wondering if this would effect him in agility at some point. He seems to always have an arch.. which does sometimes level out during movement..

@ 10 months

@ 13 months..

Rocky NA, NAP, NJP, OJC,  O-NJC, O-NAC, TG-N, TN-N, CGC