Author Topic: Awesome Run on the First Course.... (Rally)  (Read 928 times)

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Awesome Run on the First Course.... (Rally)
« on: April 26, 2010, 08:57:31 AM »
Second Course....not so much.

Grady's doing REALLY well in Rally. We actually have 2 rings set up. One as the main course that our instructor works with us on, and the 2nd where the assistant just lets you basically repeat the 1st course and try to work on anything else you need to.

Last week, Grady did AWESOME on the 1st course. Our instructor was so impressed with him and said he did the best out of all the other dogs (we were the last to go). His focus was incredible, he did everything perfectly (altho we still need to work on those crooked sits), and was having himself a good time out there. She said if it had been a trial....he woulda scored almost perfectly!

We went over to the 2nd course and he bombed! :thumbsdown: Totally outta focus, was busy watching them break down the other training rings next to us, wasn't as interested in "performing" the tasks. I swear, it was like nite and day.

Trying to figure out what it was that switched from the 1st to 2nd course, so that I can try to work on it.
1) The distraction was too much with the stuff going on next to us
2) I didn't get a chance to walk this course, we just went in and did it. So, I was busy trying to figure out the layout, trying to remember the signs, and so as a result, I guess I was a lil more outta focussed
3) He was done. He had spent quite a bit of time in his crate, was whining and pawing at it quite a bit, while we walked the 1st course, practiced the signs, etc. I'm wondering if he was just so on point cuz I had just let him out of the crate, did a few of our working "tricks" with him, got him focussed, then by the time we walked the 2nd coourse, he was just over it. He's been doing VERY good on our practice courses, this was the first time a 2nd course was set up (usually it's just an open ring to do whatever you want to - so we work on focus, healing, etc)

I'm hoping to get Shawn to go to atleast one of the classes. Luggin that big old wire crate around is Annoying! So would be nice if he can make it, hold Grady for me whle we walk the course, play with him a lil bit, then when it's our turn to run....try to get some viddeo. I like to see what I'm doing wrong, as well as things we need to work on.

So any thoughts? I know it's kinda hard without actually seeing it or being there, but I am kinda torn with the 3 issues above.....so will probably try to work on all of em.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:59:55 AM by Rubidawg »
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
Re: Awesome Run on the First Course.... (Rally)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 09:32:14 AM »
I bet it was probably a mix of all of them.

Have you thought about getting a fabric crate - they are great for taking to classes and such because they are so light and setup is very easy? A lot depends on the dog - but from what you said it sounds like it might be better for him to be crated when you aren't working with him.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 09:38:30 AM »
Yeh, We hadn't had much chance get one (class started, then I got sick, then we went outta town), but I do plan on getting the fabric crate eventually. Altho, I'd like him to settle down in the wire crate first. He gets so freaked out during the down time, I worry about him breaking out of the fabric one. Definitely something we're working on. Would be SOOOOOOOO much easier to use a fabric one, but I was talking to one of the club members last week and he said the wire ones are sucha pain, but after Grady flippin out, he's not sure he'd go with a fabric one just yet either. He had a dog bust out of one and went runnin thru the building. :wreck: So for now, I lug that big ol heavy wire one...and wear myself out in the process. LOL
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 09:40:59 AM »
Good job Grady on the 1st!  I bet he gets better
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 01:42:51 PM »
Target has fabric crates for like $25. 
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 01:46:01 PM »
Target has fabric crates for like $25. 
Yeh, from what I've read tho...they're pretty cheap - aka dogs have broken out of them pretty easily, esp larger dogs or dogs clawing/pawing at it.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 06:58:24 PM »
 :thumbsup: on the first course.  Go Grady
Joyce

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 08:31:12 PM »
Guardian Gear and Canine Camper are popular fabric crate brands that are sturdy.  Still not ideal if the dog is determined, but good for the dog that is just going to fiddget around and do some light pawing. :thumbsup:  I'd definitely avoid the popup tent style that Target sells. It is good for a dog that will just lay down and behave, but you already mentioned Grady pawing as his crate. Dogs can flip and/or roll those popup tents.  :thumbsdown:

As for how he behaved in the second run - it really could be any of the things you listed. You getting thrown and tuning out will definitely have a big effect on his focus.  If he isn't used to working through noises, then breaking down the other ring would throw him (I know it would throw Xena!)

The one I wonder about is being "done" - every dog varies, but it seems like burning out "fast" to be crated all class, run through one course and then be toast.  The first course only took two-three minutes to walk through, right? So that's a lot of rest and very little work. But again, every dog varies.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 09:00:17 PM »
Yeh, not sure which one it could be....I'm leaning more towards me being off more than anything. I know I was all discombobulated....no doubt he was too.

We worked on the sidelines everytime I had a chance during the down time. With an hour class, he was probably in there no more than 15 minutes altogether, so even after the 3 min run, he still got quite a bit of work off to the side. I don't know that he was "done" per say, but we partied and celebrated after the first run, then got pulled right into the 2nd course....so maybe he was just more confused like, "ok, thought that was it, where we goin now?" vs having the "off" switched hit.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02