Author Topic: Can Onyx learn to play?  (Read 1149 times)

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Can Onyx learn to play?
« on: April 27, 2010, 09:35:10 AM »
Onyx is doing great assimilating into our family for the most part.  She's learned our dinner time drill of sitting and quietly waiting for her bowl to be set down, learned what door to go to to ask to be let out (finally!), her recall has improved a 110%.  She still will chase a cat if they are up walking about, but will leave it if it is just laying on the couch/bed, etc.  Plus, she will bite at the cat so I'm being VERY careful there.
The most worrisome thing is the fact that she doesn't seem to know how to play with Rudy.  ONCE in a while they will do the jump, freeze, jump, freeze, run around and chase each other, freeze play routine.  If Onxy has a toy though, she doesn't allow Rudy to come grab at it to initiate a tug game.  She has no clue about tugging for fun.  When we play with Rudy by getting on the floor or just messing with his head (he likes it when I take the flat of my hand and bop his muzzle gently) he will make his wookie growly noises.  Onxy will try to get between us and heard him away from us!  She will get snarky with him but backs off when I tell her to cut it out.  Poor Rudy doesn't get why she won't play with him.  Do you think she will loosen up eventually and learn to play without getting nasty with him?
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Can Onyx learn to play?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 11:57:41 AM »
I think time is what is needed.  Goofy was about the same...he only trusted Hailey :angel: he still is pretty much a loner...
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 12:42:26 PM »
I think, given some more time, she will learn. Rudy will be a great teacher for you and perhaps the more you try to i ntroduce playing with her (like tugging just for her, etc), she'll learn to be more open to playing with you and with Rudy.

Sounds like she's really coming along. Some things just take more time than others...especially when not exposed to those things for as long as she has been.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

boxer pal

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:04:51 PM »
It's fun to watch her reaction to so many things we just take for granted with Rudy.  Today, I set a small bowl with egg wash on the floor for them to clean up and she had no idea what was going on.  I made Rudy get his big melon out of the way so she could check it out and then she went to town on it!  :thumbsup:  She is still really skittish with Dave.  I gave him some treats to keep in his truck so when he drives in, gets out or comes in the back door he has something for her.  If he's just sitting somewhere, she will easily walk up to him for some petting but if he's standing or moving much, she comes to hide behind me. (or puts Rudy between them)  I'm seeing her do more 'family dog' related stuff little by little though and that's pretty exhilarating.  I just wish she would play with Rudy the way I'm used to seeing our dogs play!  He misses that I'm sure.  It was funny though, he could play with Fancy like boxers do.  I guess she has had more exposure to boxer play than Onxy has.
Sue Q.

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 02:10:28 PM »
Awwww I bet it's so cool to see her figure things out. I know just the stuff I see in training, when Grady gets it...it makes your heart warm. I can only imagine how much it warms your heart to watch Onyx come out of her shell a lil bit and figure things out. She still has a lot to learn - things, like you say, we take for granted....but I just know she'll come around soon and Rudy will have a really fun playmate....that will probably end up wearing him out! lol
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 02:10:42 PM »
Awww, I'm sure she will come around with time. I guess she never got to play at her old home? Or was she on the road most of the time?

I remember when we first got Abby, she wouldn't get on the couch or eat anything other then her dog food. Watching her experience new things and new foods was pretty awesome. Now she is just a spoiled rotten dog like the rest.
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

boxer pal

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 02:19:01 PM »
I don't think Christa ever showed Onxy.  But with all the dogs she works with, Onxy was always on the back burner I guess.  She just never has been a house/family dog 24/7 like she is now.  I see her just sit and watching us, Rudy, the tv, or just gazing around like she's drinking everything in.  Christa said she wasn't the brightest boxer out there, but I think she's just never been mentally stimulated like she is now.  She's learned some things really FAST if you ask me!   :thumbsup:  Now if we can just get her to quit obsessing about the cats.   :wall:
Sue Q.

boxer pal

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 11:14:11 AM »
Seems all I have to do is voice my concerns and Onyx shows me up!   :thumbsup:  She was really playful this morning and even initiated play with Rudy in the living room!  He was lounging on the floor in the sun and she walked by and boxed him and then play bowed! :thumbsup:  He's a little unsure about playing with her since she's tore into him a couple of times, but he cautiously played, both dogs tails wiggling to beat the band!  :laugh4:  I watched them really closely, trying to catch signs she might change her mood on him, but she didn't and she seemed genuinly happy to be playing!  It didn't last very long, but to me, it seemed like a big breakthrough!   :partybanana:
Sue Q.

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 11:19:01 AM »
 :thumbsup:
Joyce

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 11:25:22 AM »
YAY.  Keep in mind she might be "moody" because she is in heat.  Pnut is
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 11:25:34 AM »
That's awesome Sue!  :2thumbsup:
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

BBandIDAsMOM

• Fully Weaned
  • Ida a.k.a. "Tater-Mae"
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 10:23:56 AM »
It sounds like she will just have to slowly figure out what is except able and what is not.
My Tater had no idea what a toy even was and she was so shy she would never roll over at let you rub her belly.
Now she loves to carry her stuffies around making them squeak  ;D
She also has figured out that the belly rubbin' thing is awesome too!
It took a long time and a lot of reassurance but she got there.
As far as the cat thing Onyx probably has a higher prey drive and that behavior is a hard one to change.
I have managed to get all mine to be ok with the cats except my terror...oops I mean Terrier  ;D
He is totally convinced that a good cat should be a dead cat  :eek:
My outside cats are bell trained to run from the fenced yard when I let the little Zulu out.
With my mixed up crew of misfits and castouts.....they have learned they all have to just get along  ;)   
~Diane~
   ~*~
Tater rescued 11/ 03
Bella rescued 9/29/09
B.B. 4ever in my heart 12/23/97-7/21/07

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 04:23:55 PM »
It will take a good month before she starts to relax and show her true self. It sound like she is making good progress.