Author Topic: Please Help!!!! Severe SA!  (Read 1050 times)

charlotte and mr bojangle

• Just Whelped
Please Help!!!! Severe SA!
« on: April 18, 2010, 09:12:22 AM »
Hi there everyone!!
 I have a male boxer, Lewis, who is 2  and 1/2. I'm having terrible trouble with him as he is suffering from SA and it is making life hell for both of us. He has pulled up carpets, soiled them repeatedly to the point that they can't be saved. He has smashed three windows, pulled a door down, eaten three sofas and a chair. I'm at my wits end!!
I have been to the vets with him on a number of occassions, I've used a dap and even a behaviourist and nothing works. I have used stairgates to keep him out of the front room as that is where he does the most damage and likes to be as he can see out of the window however he can just jumps it or bites the feet off it if when i spray it! I'm at my wits end, don't know what to do, I'm really worried that he is going to really hurt himself or worse!! He has started chewing electrical cables and its a worry. I'm considering kenneling when I'm out but I'll need to train him to it and when he goes in he barks, barks, barks. The neighbours will complain and it's just a nightmare. I really think the kennel is the only answer though for his own safety and so I can have a home because at the moment I haven't got any furniture at all because he just destroys it, and we are in a rented property?!! If anyone has had a similar prob or any suggestions I'd be really grateful!!
 Thanks folks! 

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Please Help!!!! Severe SA!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 10:10:45 AM »
Did you get him as a puppy or as an older dog from solewhere else.  Resuce dogs sometimes have severe issues from past environments.  I would use a kennel.  Start out by putting him in his kennel when you are there for short periods of time.  Also you might try feeding him in his kennel.  That never worked for Precious though.  Put lots of toys and kongs with treats.  You want him to think of his kennel as a safe, fun place not just when you are going away.  Precious was abused before I got her.  She is fine with free roam of my house, but if she is anywhere else she has to be kenneled or she will go beserk if I leave her. 

Please post a short introduction of yourself and your boxer in the introduction section and you will get a warm welcome to the forum. :hithere:
Joyce

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 10:33:47 AM »
Does he get any walks? He sounds like he is bored. I would try the kennel out, you just need to make it a safe and happy place for him.
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 10:36:30 AM »
I would also suggest the kennel, coupled with the DAP diffuser and leaving the tv/radio on. I hope that helps.
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
Welcome to you & Lewis

We, when I was a child, had a boxer with severe SA too.  She literally chewed thru a wire cage.  I would think about getting Lewis into a doggie day care and maybe a dog walker too.  Lewis may also need to go to some structure training, maybe agility or flyball...something to tucker him out.  A couple LONG walks and maybe some stops at a dog park.  In other words, he needs to blow off  a lot of energy so that he is tired when you leave...and then mid day, have someone come in and walk him again to tire him out.

I would also try what Joyce mentioned...slowly acclimating him to a crate...not as a punishment, but getting him used to using it as a place of comfort.

Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

• Just Whelped
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
Thanks for your advice. I had him as a pup, he was one of a litter of four - his mum and dad were family pets.  I was living with my mum at the time they were born but when they were about 6 months old I left to live on my own. My mum kept 3 of  the four pups but as time went on they have all started to fight so Lewis came to live with me because my mum couldn't cope with him because he has always been very excitable anyway.  I'm sure this is where it all stems from as up until this point he had other dogs and people around him and now he only really has me but seems to in one way to like it like that as he still displays this behaviour when he is left with someone else.

Thanks again and will post an introduction.

• Just Whelped
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 11:01:21 AM »
Thanks everyone, yes he gets walked twice a day and runs on his own. We have 45 mins out in a morning and 1 hour + plus in the evening. He has been castrated as I thought that may help but it hasn't really. It just seems like I am banging my head up a brick wall as everything I try seems to fail and I just don't know what  the solution is. I am definately going to try the kennel out though and just get him use to being in there in the day even when I'm in and being in the house at night. He does sleep in bed with me though, does anyone think that this ought to change? I'm really worried for him and the last thing I want to do is lose our bond.   

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 11:39:54 AM »
I would not worry about losing your bond - dogs are very adaptable and very forgiving (think of dogs who are abused and still love their owners).  You aren't going to be doing anything cruel by kenneling him for his own safety, and you've already mentioned getting him used to it ahead of time.

Do you have a wire kennel or plastic? I'm wondering if plastic might be a better choice because he won't be able to chew (some can chew wire ones) and it will be darker and more den like.  You could add a blanket over the sides to really make it darker.

I definitely think kenneling is the wisest thing - beyond being destructive to your house, he could really hurt himself (if he hasn't already).
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 11:42:34 AM »
I would use the plastic kennel too.  Precious has chewed and actually broken wires on the metal one.  Precious sleeps in bed with me, so I don't think you need to change that.
Joyce

• Just Whelped
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 05:15:43 AM »
Hi everyone, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately Lewis has recently visited my next door neighbour, had broken through his fence and emptied his bin and plant pots within the first hour of me leaving home to work the other day. He has been in the kennel but has constantly barked. I have had to send him to the boarding kennels for the week as I have got to work all week and get the fence repaired so that he can't visit my neighbvour again. I have phoned the boarding kennels and they said he is having a lovely time, playing with the other dogs and is NOT barking in the kennel there. Can't believe it, left me thinking now maybe he needs a friend? or maybe that would be worse because I could have double trouble?

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks!

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 07:46:45 AM »
Have you checked out getting a  dog walker?  Before you get another pup, I would "fix" the one you have because you could end up with 2 times the problem.

Dog Walker
Doggie Daycare
Stuffed Kong
Timed interactive Toys

Just a couple suggestions
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&