Author Topic: Sleep how much  (Read 2803 times)

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
Sleep how much
« on: March 29, 2010, 07:07:56 PM »
How much sleep should I expect her to sleep during the day and how much play time? Right now she plays about 15-30 minutes then takes a 30 minute nap. I am thrilled with how she is handling her crate. She goes right in and settles down without crying so I treat her and tell her what a good girl she is then go sit down. OH said that we shouldnt play with her to much today since everything is new and I agree.

I dont really expect her to do this good all the time after all she is in a new place and finding her way so things are bound to change once she gets settled.

My son (ds) wants to watch her sleep and get close to the crate so we are working on that being her spot and no kids allowed to mess with her in there.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop she has been doing so good :laugh4:

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Sleep how much
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 07:13:24 PM »
It really varies for each pup - most generalizations that are made are about how long they can hold it based on age and activity.  I haven't really heard anything about how long they are supposed to sleep at a shot.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 07:16:38 PM »
well Phoebe was a "perfect" puppy...but she is now my lil helliun!  But I love her lots!
All pups sleep differently, but expect her to sleep more than awake.  At night it may be 2 hrs then a potty and then 2 hours again, or it could be 4 hours...

If you are aware of her all the time you may not have "the other shoe drop" but if you get lax thinking she is just so good and forget to keep your eye on her...you very well could be very sorry! ;)  remember, you are the one that knows what is expected...you cannot expect a 8, 9 10 week or even a 10 month old pup to know the limits.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 07:52:01 PM »
I read that the most a dog should spend in the crate during a 24 hours period is 10 hours. I was doing the math and she is definitely going to go over that limit if she keeps this up. :laugh4:

OK when she wakes tonight needing to potty I just take her out let her do her business then put her right back in the crate right? No getting her worked up or anything like that.

I know I shouldnt limit water but can I stop giving it to her say 2-3 hours before bedtime? Would that hurt anything?

I am still trying to figure out the right amount of food. I gave her a cup this morning then about 1/4 cup around lunch time and she didnt finish it. How long before bed time should her last meal be?

This puppy is pooing every other time she pees and it is very loose. So she has pooed approx. 6 times since this morning when I first brought her home. Is that normal? I did get her some of the food she had been eating to mix with the new maybe that is what is up?

It really is ok if she cries in the crate right? :blush: as long as she has peed and pooed within the last hour to 2 hours right?

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 08:00:06 PM »
I don't think that article meant to include the amount of time she spent in the crate voluntarily for her own napping enjoyment.  ;)

Stress can create poo issues, and a new house is definitely stressful even when it's "good" stress. Also, I've noticed pups tend to get loose poo pretty easily, so I wouldn't stress if it's only soft (not watery or explosive).

Pooing frequency is higher when they are pups, but also depends on how often you feed her. 

Yes, it is OK for her to cry in the crate when you initially put her in there - but since she's only 8 weeks, if she starts crying after 2-4 hours, then it might mean potty time.  You shouldn't let her out if she's just been put in the crate (whether first time that night or after a "full" potty break), but you should let her out for *just* a potty break if it's been several hours.  Pups vary in how soon they sleep through the night - some pups sleep through right away, others take months to sleep through the entire night.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 08:10:10 PM »
Thank you. I hope that my questions wont drive you all nuts :blush: I am unsure of myself and more than a little nervous and having someone to ask about things helps me to stay calm and not pull out my hair :laugh4:

So can she hold it an hour at least or should I take her out every hour if she wakes and cries?

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 08:12:57 PM »
Thank you. I hope that my questions wont drive you all nuts :blush: I am unsure of myself and more than a little nervous and having someone to ask about things helps me to stay calm and not pull out my hair :laugh4:

So can she hold it an hour at least or should I take her out every hour if she wakes and cries?
Nonesense....it's like that old saying, "no stupid questions except those that aren't asked." ;) We're here to help.

Generally, you take them out after each meal, right after they wake up from a nap, and right after a heavy play session. Then anytime in between is 1 hour+1 for month (so at 2 months, it'll be about every 2-3 hours). And yeh, it will seems like that's all you do...take em out, let em sleep, take em out, let em sleep.

Ahhhh the joys of puppihood! LOL
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 08:15:57 PM »
She should be able to hold it 2-3 hours at night at this age - during the day, she'll be more active so potty trips are more frequent.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 08:18:20 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question and being patient with me.

That is what I was thinking. It is just like having a baby eat, sleep, toilet :laugh4: She actually has went to her crate on her own several times to nap today.

She did really well with the vacuum cleaner. Just mild interests. With us moving all over and cleaning she hasnt been perturbed much at all. The kids where bouncing around a bit and she didnt even register it just slept right on.

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 08:06:59 PM »
At her age it is acceptable if she sleeps more than she is awake? Like up playing for 30 minutes then sleep for 1-2 hours.

OH mentioned that she might be sleeping to much and has me paranoid.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 08:08:40 PM by BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue »

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 08:11:26 PM »
It is totally normal - she should be pooped after all that excitement!!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 08:22:31 PM »
Playing and growing take alot out of a pup. Normal.
  Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »
That is what I was thinking but he got me paranoid :laugh4: