Author Topic: Day 7 update on Isis  (Read 1943 times)

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
Day 7 update on Isis
« on: April 04, 2010, 11:52:02 AM »
Things have been going really well with her house training and her crate training. In the house training I have missed at least 1 time pee a day and twice one day :( She understands her key words really well to go potty. But still hasnt gotten the concept of not going in the house. I know that takes time and I just have to keep on top of it.

Crate training is perfect. After that first night or 2 of crying at first she has totally stopped. She will go in her crate, lay down and promptly go to sleep. Even if she isnt totally tired like this morning when I needed some more sleep due to feeling sick she went right back in without a fuss.

The only thing I am worried about is her not coming to me. I can get her doing it well for a bit then she seems to forget what come means and just ignores me. I am thinking it is a time and patience thing.

She comes to a sqeeky toy much better than food so maybe that is the key I should focus on?

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Day 7 update on Isis
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:30:05 PM »
Patience is the key...she is a baby yet so it will take time.  I think that the squeaky toy may be your key...use it as a way to get her to do what you want, then give her the toy as a reward.

At her age she will need to be pottied every 2 hours while awake...and a couple times a night unless she is sleeping thru.  She must be pottied upon waking, after eating, and anytime she wanders away from what you are doing with her...I would hand a bell and shake it every time you take her out...there is a sticky on bell training...it is a GREAT method to get her to tell you she need to go outside.  Phoebe took 1 week to learn how.  She would have been about 12 weeks.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 12:39:05 PM »
I have the bell hanging on the door now and when we go out I say outside while ringing the bell. The times I have missed on her using the bathroom was when I was distracted by one of my other kids and let it slip my mind that it was about time for her to go out.

Are there a lot of dogs that use a toy as a reward instead of food? I actually like the toy idea better in a way cause the toy is easier to keep up with than always remembering to grab the treats.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 06:25:55 PM »
It really depends on the dog - some are chow hounds, some love toys. If she loves toys, use them as a reward.  But I'd make sure not to squeak the toy when you are trying to get her to come - then you are using it as a signal and not the reward. If you are using it as a reward, then it makes noise after she's done what you want.

"Come" is generally the hardest thing to train with good reliability - one of the reasons a leash and/or good fence are necessary for good owners - because it's very easy for pups to find something more rewarding to do when they are already a distance away from you.  If you think about it, when you are working sit or stay, you are right there in front of them (and usually holding something tasty).  When you are calling her to come, she's a good ways away and can easily smell something more interesting while she's standing around.

At this stage, my advice is not to use the come command unless you can enforce it -- that means you shouldn't call her unless she's got a line attached and you can gently reel/coax her in. Giving her the option to refuse and being too far away to correct it means that you just made the word more meaningless. "Oh, I don't *have* to do anything when she says that..."
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 06:35:14 PM »
^^^agree^^^

Do not use the "come" command unless she KNOWS what it means. A puppy that does does not know it yet.  It's worthless otherwise and if I say COME I mean it. Same goes for sit or down. Asked once and wait them out. Again a pup this age has no idea what these words mean. If she's running at you...you can say "come!" and treat her for coming to you. It's all baby tiny steps.

Best way I found to get a puppy to "come" is to be the coolest thing to them. Make hight pitch noise or kissey sounds and RUN away from them. Most pups love to chase. Sophia use to be horrible and I even would lay flat on the ground to get her to come to me.
It's weird but it worked. Her recall is VERY impressive now. BUT, she's almost 4! We just got back from a long hike all off lead and I can call her from 50-100yrds away and she comes bolting back. Strummer is pretty good too. Not perfect but he never runs away from me.
Sophia use to looove to do that.  ::)
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 06:42:39 PM »
Yes, Xena loved the Chase Me game style of training (see sticky in Good Manners). She will turn on a dime and race to me based on that training.  Dash, not so much, but he's got a lot of complicating factors.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12