Author Topic: Introducing her to the house  (Read 1941 times)

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
Introducing her to the house
« on: March 27, 2010, 04:13:09 PM »
Monday is the day  :partybanana: I am wondering about bringing her into the house and the best way to go about it to make the experience a good one for her.

Should I bring her in and let her off leash to explore while I follow her or should I walk around with her on leash instead?

Any tips or advice is welcome since I am a total  :noob: on having a house dog.

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Introducing her to the house
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 04:18:22 PM »
She probably won't be walking on a leash @ 8 weeks.  And I wouldn't suggest dragging her around, so let her explore with you following. Walking on a leash happens later, she probably won't even know what a collar is so take your time introducing that.  Leash walking won't happen for a few months yet.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 04:45:28 PM »
Ah with my other dogs I always put them on a leash very early on. Usually at 6 weeks for a few minutes then by 8 weeks I had them walking well on a leash. I have to remember that this little girl hasnt had that interaction.

Is there any reason why I cannot introduce her to a leash right away? As long as I dont drag her it should be OK right?

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 04:48:16 PM »
Ditto.  I would puppy-proof before you go get her, and maybe confine her exploring to a couple of rooms (to make it easier on you).

Also remember that she might be overwhelmed by all the changes - she might be quiet or not eat much, etc.  Or she could go the other direction and be wild with excitement. But don't expect what she does in the first couple of days to be her "normal"

Introducing her to the leash early is fine, but give her a little time to settle in.  You'll need to use a leash outside if you don't have a fenced potty area, but that should just be you hanging on while she does her thing (maybe some guiding if you only want her to poop in one spot or something).
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 05:13:25 PM »
Hoping everything goes smooth today. Give that baby a bath, if the dude hasn't already.
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 05:38:11 PM »
Oh yeah bath is on the top of the list though he said he was going to but I just dont know if he will or not. It has been a few weeks now so odds are the smell wont be that bad, I hope. 

I also need to get the drimmel to do her nails.

I am doing the final puppy proofing today and tomorrow. Not easy for me to crawl around at puppy eye level but I am managing it :laugh4: it is just like getting the house ready for when the kids started learning to crawl.

I have actually found many of the things are the same not only preparing the house and buying stuff she will need but my state of mind as well, nervousness, excitement, panic, elation, getting the house ready and stuff together it all takes me back to before I gave birth. :blush:

Thank you for reminding me that how she acts at first isnt how it will always be. Totally new surroundings, leaving all she has known till now will be a huge transition for her.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:40:18 PM by BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue »

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 10:33:36 PM »
Only two more days, how exciting.  I'm just two weeks behind you so know how excited you are about your new arrival.  :)

Be sure and walk her around outside and hopefully she'll potty out there before you bring her in.
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 10:45:47 PM »
Yep first thing Monday morning 8:30A.M. I am picking her up  :boing: Having known about her so long has about did me in  :padded: especially with all that has went on. I still fear something will happen to her between now and then  :sad3: but I am managing to keep my worry to a minimum at least a minimum for me anyway.  :crazy:

Definitely going to be walking her for a few minutes in the yard before bringing her in so that she can empty her bladder and hopefully #2 as well.

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 10:50:57 PM »
Did you get her a kennel yet? I would keep that set up somewhere in a high traffic area so she has a "safe place" to go in and out of.
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 11:00:16 PM »
Yep her crate is all ready and waiting. I can easily move it to the living room and back to the bedroom for night time.

It should be just the right size for her at this age. I will have to get her a new one later.

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 08:04:58 AM »
A wee bit more than 24...hours that is.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 04:17:15 PM »
16 hours and 43 minutes :laugh4:

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 10:25:17 PM »
I need to run to the pet store to pick up the stuff to clean with. Would it be to much on her to take her with me tomorrow after I pick her up?

I know she is going to be stressed but I know accidents are going to happen so I need to clean them up right away. But if it will be to much on her then I can wait till the next day.

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 10:36:20 PM »
can you go before hand? I would minimize the stress to going home and sniffing out her new home, but thats just me. Good luck tomorrow, the big day is almost here.
  Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 10:42:40 PM »
Ditto Bumpy. I'd go on your way there and pick up all your last minute supplies. I wouldn't want to push her too far the first day. She's already going to be weirded out, not being in her normal environment, then add the stress of all the noises, other dogs, people wanting to come up and pet her, etc. Best to just get her home and let her get acclimated before doing something like that. Also, I wouldn't take her to a place like PetSmart til she's had all her shots.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12