Author Topic: Oregon-WTH  (Read 2338 times)

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
  • Corky 7yrs...Grandaughter Bella 8 weeks
    • Fairview Boxers
Oregon-WTH
« on: February 26, 2010, 07:18:39 AM »
Has anyone seen this??? http://www.leg.state.or.us/09reg/measpdf/hb2900.dir/hb2986.intro.pdf

is this for real????????  Please tell me this did not pass???  I mean, inbreeding is risky, but this is basis and leaves precedence for purebred dogs to dissapear
Kat Medved
Aggie 7.7.2007, Ozzy 04.16.2012
At the Bridge: Corky 11.2.2002-2.2012, Cass 8.6.2005-6.2012 www.fairviewboxer.com

aquagirl900

• Socialized
Re: Oregon-WTH
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 07:45:31 AM »
How is inbreeding important to keeping purebred dogs?  I can understand not wanting brothers breeding to sisters, fathers to daughters grandfather to granddaughter...which seems to be all that bill would be limiting? 

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 08:14:48 AM »
I'm sure the OP will clarify but I think what she is saying is that if passed it will open the door to more legislation banning breeding of all kinds. Bills like this are how folks with other motives get their foot in the door to ultimatly get what they want through.
  Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 08:32:52 AM »
That's my question...what are they defining as "inbreeding"  How close and how far away far away would "inbreeding" be considered illegal?
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:35:55 AM »
I don't think it matters. The fact that they have language to ban any breeding is bad news as it's a foot in the door for AR people to go further.
  Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 08:44:51 AM »
As I understand it, breeders don't do breedings this close to begin with (at least, not breeders with two brain cells rubbing together), so the law is put into place and then open for amendment that can keep tightening down the restrictions until purebreds are nearly impossible.  Think of the gorgeous litters we've seen from Faerdorn line breedings - they aren't brother/sister, father/daughter breedings, but they are "closely" related.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 08:49:31 AM »
I may be wrong but I thought I read that this bill considered any related dog in the last 4 generations .

So a great grandaughter /great grandfather breeding would be considered inbreeding. It could also include half siblings in the last 4 generations .

So they are not just talking about brother/sister or mother/son type of breedings .
And if you really think about it ALL boxers are related it just depends on how many generations you go back .I bet many would be surprised if you researched your pedigrees to find out how many of the dogs on this board are tied to each other .

And yes it would be easy to change this once the laws are already on the books . Now 4 genertaions , then change it to 8 then 12 etc...
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
    • Fairview Boxers
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 08:56:13 AM »
ALL purebred dogs are genetically inbred.  This bill states that a 3 generation pedigree with repeated dogs in it is virtually illegal... There goes MOST of the Boxers in the country.... No grandarents which is (for  a well bred puppy a pretty filtered breeding to tie in a great trait).
 I am not for breeding brother to sisters, or daughters to fathers, etc.... HOWEVER, breeding is a specific practice/science and when you limit in in any legislation you open doors or windows for the whole practice/science to be limited....
If this is allowed, the standard in a way would be lost, IMO.... It is ideal to outcross and bring in new lines and "blood" to any breed, it helps make healthier breeding practices.  BUT, linebreeding (which is a type of inbreeding) uniforms the breed and standardizes it.  It is what gave us our beautiful Boxer heads, and such....

I got this link off of one of my other boards, ironically the AU one... but it is a concern for responsible breeders.  It sets precidence and can cause MAJOR breeder issues!  
Kat Medved
At the Bridge: Corky 11.2.2002-2.2012, Cass 8.6.2005-6.2012 www.fairviewboxer.com

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
    • Fairview Boxers
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 09:00:21 AM »
On a side note, any linebreeding should be WELL thought out, you want to knoe (as with any breeding, but specifically a linebreeding) ALL health of the line and testing.  A linebreeding can give you a STRONG wonderful trait, or it can give you a STRONG fault....
Research is so important, and in the 4 litters I have bred or co-bred, ONE was a line breeding... I don't intend on linebreeding with my next litter, but I may line breed to a Great grandpa with one of Penny's girls if it would suit them.  Which by this bill, would be illegal.

The point is, these states are trying to make bills that they say are "protecting" animals, but really it is an AR movement to disban purebred dogs, and then dogs in general!
Kat Medved