Author Topic: Play time & taking walks  (Read 1543 times)

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
Play time & taking walks
« on: March 13, 2010, 01:44:19 PM »
How far can an 8 week old puppy walk? How much exercise is to much? I want to start walking with her very soon after getting her not only for her but for me. I dont want to over do it though and cause her issues. How about playing inside will she let me know when she is ready to take a nap or should I limit play time?

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Play time & taking walks
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 02:20:15 PM »
Depends on who you ask.  Chris Zink, DVM (or VMD?) says that puppies under 1 year should NOT be doing "forced exercise" at all. "Forced" not that you are being mean and forcing something on them, but that you have them on leash, you set the pace, duration, etc. The idea is that "forced" exercise is bad for their joints/development. These walks also often happen on hard surfaces, which furthers the issue.

Young puppies should get most of their exercise through free play - where they set the length of playtime, how fast or slow they go, etc.  That's running around in the yard, wrestling, playing with toys, etc.  You should only limit this play if the pup doesn't know her limits (I've heard of pups that will fetch until they drop) or if she's getting out of control. Playtime should have rules and require basic civility from her (no biting hard, etc).

This is not saying that you can't train the pup to walk nicely on leash - short sessions of leash training are valuable and should be done early. But that isn't a walk around the block, that's a little walking in front of the house or training at class, etc.

After 12 mos, you can start walking and building up duration. Stat with 10 minutes or so and work your way up. Remember that a 12 mo old pup may be near adult size, but it's like walking with a 8-10 yr old child.. you wouldn't take them on mile runs, right? Trying to go for long walks with a young pup would be like taking a toddler on long walks... they might be able to do it, but it's tough on their young bodies.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 03:40:03 PM »
Thanks. I was looking forward to walks but I can wait and of course I can always carry her with me when I walk right? Getting her out and seeing new things is my goal for now so that she wont be scared of things.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 04:10:47 PM »
I actually wouldn't carry her - you can see how that actually doesn't work if you watch little dogs behave in their owner's arms.  ::)

Remember, you don't want to take her random public places until her shots are done.  Then you can take her lots of places with you, like driving to the pet store, the park, etc. I'm sure there are a variety of places you can bring her in the car instead of carrying her to different places in the neighborhood.  And there is lots to get used to around your house too - exposing her to the vacuum, the broom, kid's toys, etc, etc.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 04:15:29 PM »
I was thinking more of just down my driveway that is where I walk. It isnt super long just takes me about 5 min slow walking to go to the end and back. I dont really live in a neighborhood. We are surrounded by woods and the closest house cant be seen in summer when the trees are full. Right now we dont have any dogs running free around here so that is super nice. So I dont have to worry about diseases in that regard.

Yeah your right about the little dog in arms thing. Dont want to deal with that.

Rob T

• Potty Trained
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 07:44:27 PM »
Depends on who you ask.  Chris Zink, DVM (or VMD?) says that puppies under 1 year should NOT be doing "forced exercise" at all. "Forced" not that you are being mean and forcing something on them, but that you have them on leash, you set the pace, duration, etc. The idea is that "forced" exercise is bad for their joints/development. These walks also often happen on hard surfaces, which furthers the issue.

Young puppies should get most of their exercise through free play - where they set the length of playtime, how fast or slow they go, etc.  That's running around in the yard, wrestling, playing with toys, etc.  You should only limit this play if the pup doesn't know her limits (I've heard of pups that will fetch until they drop) or if she's getting out of control. Playtime should have rules and require basic civility from her (no biting hard, etc).

This is not saying that you can't train the pup to walk nicely on leash - short sessions of leash training are valuable and should be done early. But that isn't a walk around the block, that's a little walking in front of the house or training at class, etc.

After 12 mos, you can start walking and building up duration. Stat with 10 minutes or so and work your way up. Remember that a 12 mo old pup may be near adult size, but it's like walking with a 8-10 yr old child.. you wouldn't take them on mile runs, right? Trying to go for long walks with a young pup would be like taking a toddler on long walks... they might be able to do it, but it's tough on their young bodies.

Great helpful post, thanks Julia!

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 01:13:05 AM »
Yeah your right about the little dog in arms thing. Dont want to deal with that.
I'm actually looking for some sort of "puppy pouch" to carry the puppy I'm getting soon on walks through the forest around here, something I can wrap around my abdomen/shoulders with a pocket for her to ride in in front, and stop to let her out and play awhile at various interesting spots.  When Koda was very young I'd wrap him up inside the front of my coat but it will be too warm for that after Mukki arrives.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 01:15:08 AM by Lisa »
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 01:15:21 AM »
I like that idea a lot Lisa I want this little girl with me as much as humanly possible and it just dosnt make sense for me to take my little walk and leave her at home. I will definatly be careful about over exercising though.

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 02:55:39 AM »
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 10:23:27 PM »
I like the carrier :) might look into something like that myself.