Author Topic: Crating and play time, sleeping in lap & other questions  (Read 1902 times)

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
Crating and play time, sleeping in lap & other questions
« on: February 25, 2010, 02:45:54 PM »
I was just sitting her thinking. Once I get Isis @ 8 weeks old. I know I will want to spend as much time with her as possible. But I know she needs to be in her crate and learn about going outside to potty.

How long can I play with her at a time without crating her? What if I want to sit and hold her in my lap for petting while she sleeps is that a really bad thing? Do I need to just put her in the crate to sleep right away?

I know she will only be little for a very short time and I want to make sure that I dont miss out on it but I also want to make sure that I dont mess up her training.

Can you all share your daily routines for a puppy that age or similar? I need to get an idea of how I should and shouldnt do things. Thanks so much for your help.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:58:07 PM by BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue »

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
Re: Crating and play time, sleeping in lap
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:49:01 PM »
Housetraining basics:

1.  Potty after every play session
2.  Potty after eating (schedule eating cause if you know when it goes in, you will know when it needs to come out)
3.  Potty after waking up.

The crate is for sleeping and when you need her to be safe.  She will get it and it's perfectly fine to hold her all you want.  :smitten:
When Bugsy was a puppy my neighbor used to tease me that his legs would never work cause I never out him down.  ;D
Vicky

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 02:57:29 PM »
About how long after eating will it need to come out  :P

From reading one guys training methods he says that a young puppy should only be fed by reward for doing right and have the food in the kong to chew on to keep busy while crated. He said not to even buy a food bowl for a few weeks.

I am thinking this will make it a bit harder to judge when potty is needed. What do you think of that advice?

I read it here:
Before you get your puppy http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf
After you get your puppy http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf By Dr. Ian Dunbar

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
Re: Crating and play time, sleeping in lap & other questions
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 03:15:28 PM »
I would crate her a bit every day (15 minutes here, hour there) while you are busy cooking etc. Whenever u can't keep an eye on her.

As for laptime....just remember what unlettered them donas a puppy they do as an adult. Beas was in my lap all the time (same with Peas) and now I have over 100 # of puppies attemping to sit in my lap at night. Beas usually wins the lap and Peas ends up on my legs.
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 03:22:44 PM »
I will definitely keep that in mind. I use my laptop a lot so I need to make sure I am not fighting a 60pd dog out of the way to use it :wacko:

So as long as she is crated some daily that is all that matter right?

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 03:36:16 PM »
Just put the laptop on the lapdog.  :laugh4:

Don't over think it....... enjoy the pup.
  Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 03:38:24 PM »
I think you're thinking too much  ;) but only because you want so badly to do everything right.  :thumbsup:  One thing to keep in mind - we all make mistakes.  You'll find at LEAST one thing you wish you did different after you raise this puppy, but you just apply what you learned to the next one. It sounds like you've definitely done enough homework that your learning curve won't "damage' your little girl.  :yes:

For crating - the goal, I feel, is to have a dog that is comfortable being crated when it's necessary.  Make it a common enough event that being in the crate isn't strange, or worrisome (pop her in for a couple minutes when you're cleaning, cooking, like Theresa said) and use it for potty training as needed.  I definitely like to use it for overnight potty training because I think the risk of them having accidents is larger when they are out and can move around - unless they are in bed with you and you're a light enough sleeper to wake up if they start moving... but then, the little puppy in bed with you will expect to stay there when she's a 50-60lb adult.  ;)  

I wouldn't put a limit on cuddle time, but I'd be careful not to cuddle her when she's being bratty or pushy - cuddling is a fun mutual activity, not something that gets demanded or a reward for snotty behavior.

I think puppies benefit from a regular feeding schedule and I would buy her a bowl and feed her meals. You can use some of her kibble to train her, but can still give a portion of it at meal times.  You can also set up mealtime rules, which is a less-dramatic version of what that guy is trying to do - set you up as "she who controls the resources". Both my pups have to go to certain spots and sit while I prepare their dinner and have to wait for the OK before diving in. It doesn't take much time, it's just a small exercise in self-control for them twice a day.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 04:09:37 PM »
I do tend to over think things badly  :blush: It is just so important to me that I make sure I do this right. My husband is very leery about having a dog especially one that will be a house dog. It has taken me years to get him to the point where he is not ok with it exactly but is willing to give it a try.

I thought the guys rules I was reading was really strict and frankly it scared me  :wreck: with all his talk of never allowing a mistake etc. I know from raising my 2 kids that mistakes are just part of things.

I will keep :book2: and hopefully I can figure out how to relax a bit after all I have a long time still to drive myself totally around the bend if I am not careful :wacky:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 04:13:32 PM by BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue »

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 04:20:58 PM »
Well hopefully your husband will be much like the SO's of many of our members - big old softies for their boxers!  :smitten: Some of them even learn a thing or two about training/dog learning.  ;) 

We even have a couple of male members here... brave souls like Bumpy who put up with all us ladies.  :thumbsup:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Rob T

• Potty Trained
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 07:43:18 PM »
About how long after eating will it need to come out  :P

From reading one guys training methods he says that a young puppy should only be fed by reward for doing right and have the food in the kong to chew on to keep busy while crated. He said not to even buy a food bowl for a few weeks.

I am thinking this will make it a bit harder to judge when potty is needed. What do you think of that advice?

I read it here:
Before you get your puppy http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf
After you get your puppy http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf By Dr. Ian Dunbar

I have Dunbar's book on puppy's and really like it a lot. 

I also read about him saying not to use a food bowl and feed everything in Kong's and in training.  HA!  Blade won't even touch any of the Kong's we bought him!  No interest in them in any way, shape or form.  We wasted our money!  We've put food in them several times...nothing.  It just doesn't work for us.

Blade has had a few potty accidents lately that have discouraged us a little.  He had gone to the restroom outside, and we brought him in and the kids were playing with him for about 30 minutes when he made his way over to the travertine floor and relieved himself.  :(        Just have to remember that active play time causes them to have to go!

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 07:46:58 PM »
Thank you for mentioning that she may not like toys. I bought a Kong and a barbell to put food in for crate training and was going to buy more but now I will wait and see if she cares for them. They are to expensive to buy and never use.

I went ahead and bought her a food bowl after talking to everyone here I got a nice stainless steel double feeder for a great price :)

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 12:18:16 AM »
K was watching a video on youtube about crates and the guy on this one recommended no sleeping material because of them wanting to pee on it. So should I have a little soft bed for her to sleep on or should I just let her lay on the crate floor?

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 12:24:18 AM »
IMO, it depends on the dog. Samson had a blanket in his kennel since I bought him home. Hes had a few accidents. But, hes was a very easy dog to potty train.
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

BoxerIsisDreamComeTrue

• Potty Trained
  • Isis @ 15 days old
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 12:31:21 AM »
I bought a fuzzy thin pad for the crate and was just going to put sheets under that. I guess I can give it a go and see how she does. I hate to think of her laying on the hard crate floor and hopefully I wont have to do that.

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 12:35:45 AM »
I would start with just a blanket you can easily toss in the wash. I've never giving samson anything but his cloud blanket, too scared hes going to chew it up. Plus, he likes to shove his blanket to the side and use it as a pillow :laugh4:
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)