Author Topic: Recall Recap  (Read 937 times)

PoseidonsMom

• Socialized
  • The eyes are the window to the soul
Recall Recap
« on: May 02, 2007, 10:08:15 AM »
http://www.itchmo.com/go/tagged/safety

Individual links to mentioned events are listed on the site if you care for more in depth info.

Recall Update: Wednesday
Wednesday, May 2nd, 2007

Let’s recap recent events:

1. Millions of chickens ate toxic feed in February and have been consumed by people.
   2. Meanwhile, FDA has gotten 4,150 reports of pet deaths.
   3. 1 in 6 pet owners have been affected by recalls. That’s 8.3 million households.
   4. FDA refuses to recall any remaining tainted chickens, citing “low risk.” But experts say “they know little about how the toxin interacts with other compounds in food.”
   5. However, they are not willing to let the remaining tainted chickens and hogs into the human food supply. Why the contradiction?
   6. FDA’s newly promoted “food safety czar” sticks to the party line and refuses to name the brands of foods contaminated.
   7. He also says “hundreds” of plants received tainted Chinese vegetable protein.
   8. Why? Melamine spiking is so widespread, there’s an industry devoted to it dating back 15 years.
   9. In a rare move, the FDA has detained large swaths of Chinese vegetable proteins.
  10. China is also requiring central testing of all vegetable protein. Estimates say only 60% of Chinese food makers are reliable.
  11. Deja vu all over again? FDA has seen this before in 1985.

Here are the substances that the FDA is blocking from China:

Wheat Gluten, Rice Gluten, Rice Protein, Rice Protein Concentrate, Corn Gluten, Corn Gluten Meal, Corn By-Products, Soy Protein, Soy Gluten, Proteins (includes amino acids and protein hydrosylates), Mung Bean Protein

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Recall Recap
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 11:44:42 AM »
THANKS!  I had heard most of this on the news last night and elsewhere but I really appreciate you putting it out here. 

Dave brought up something we had a laugh about.  We both grew up eating off melamine/milmac dishes.  I remember ours having jello stains and egg yolk stains that wouldn't come off so we scrubbed the hell out of them, thus removing the 'protective coating'. Dave remembers the same. Wonder how much melamine we ate as kids?
Or for that matter, teflon?  I don't think anyone knew you weren't supposed to use teflon coated skillets once they were scratched back then.  Oh well, maybe the melamine will get me before global warming does!   :o
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Recall Recap
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 02:05:39 PM »
Sue I have been in that situation too...no wonder I am a mess...think I can go after the manufacturers of the melamine dishes & teflon pans??? j/k
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&