Author Topic: Housetraining Laila  (Read 1440 times)

Little~Laila

• Weanling
Housetraining Laila
« on: February 17, 2010, 08:33:04 PM »
Hello all,
I have been reading thread after thread on house training. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong or if I AM doing things right but she just hasn't been used to it long enough. Forst Laila is 13 weeks old but she is small for a boxer weighing in at 10 lbs. (We are trying to put weight on her from help of our Vet and the breeder) (I'd also like to know, her weight was NOT the breeders fault, it was her previous owners fault) I'm confused on how long she should be able to old it. As an example. I took her out last night at 11:30pm. She peed and pooed and came back in for bed. I kenneled her and went to bed. At 3:00 AM she was whining, barking etc in her kennel. I got up and took her back out and she pooped but didn't pee. I waited about 10 mins and still nothing. Then it occurred to me (she peed in her kennel) I was quite surprised because the size of her crate. She has enough room recommended but not enough to pee and get away from it... does anyone have any suggestions, words of encouragement... anything?

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
Housetraining Laila
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 08:57:59 PM »
Generally a puppy can hold it 1 hour plus 1 hour for every month old. But at around 13 weeks she should sleep most of the night. At that age peanut would go to sleep at 10 and was up at 5 am.
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Little~Laila

• Weanling
Housetraining Laila
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:06:49 PM »
Generally a puppy can hold it 1 hour plus 1 hour for every month old. But at around 13 weeks she should sleep most of the night. At that age peanut would go to sleep at 10 and was up at 5 am.

Should I be taking her water away after a certain time?

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Housetraining Laila
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:21:10 PM »
1 hour per month plus one is a general rule - some pups have to go out more frequently and some sleep through the night by this age.  For Laila's age, 4 hours would be the "norm" according to the rule - she got you up after 3 1/2 hours and had already pee'd, so her limit seems to be 3 1/2 hours or a little less.

Was she already crate-trained when she came to you?

I don't think you necessarily need to take away her water, but I'd make sure she isn't chugging down a bunch before bedtime.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Little~Laila

• Weanling
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 09:35:02 PM »
1 hour per month plus one is a general rule - some pups have to go out more frequently and some sleep through the night by this age.  For Laila's age, 4 hours would be the "norm" according to the rule - she got you up after 3 1/2 hours and had already pee'd, so her limit seems to be 3 1/2 hours or a little less.

Was she already crate-trained when she came to you?

I don't think you necessarily need to take away her water, but I'd make sure she isn't chugging down a bunch before bedtime.

Well, if you mean by crate trained her previous owner put her in there and let her whine it out then yes... or if you mean create trained by we have been working with her since we got her so she will go in when asked, then NO. It's been a feat too... She goes in, very slowly, we just let her take her time and give her a half a treat. That's always how I had done my other dogs. She does whine for a few minutes but nothing like she did the first night we had her. I also am anxious to get her kennel trained so she feels comfortable in her "den". Any suggestions for that? I have trained my dogs in the past with no issues, I don't know why I want everything to be so perfect with her. I think it may be because I had a rottie/shephard mix with my ex and he was VERY inconsistent. One day he's let Gracie on the couch, next day he's spank her. She would also jump ALL over you when you came in the door and that's why I didn't WANT a huge dog. I'm hoping with the right time, patience and advice I can train her to be a very well mannered dog.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 09:43:48 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much right now - it sounds like you are doing the right things and a lot of this stuff just takes time.

Did the last owner let her whine it out to the point of peeing in her crate or do you mean she just didn't acclimate her to it slowly?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Little~Laila

• Weanling
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 09:54:08 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much right now - it sounds like you are doing the right things and a lot of this stuff just takes time.

Did the last owner let her whine it out to the point of peeing in her crate or do you mean she just didn't acclimate her to it slowly?

From what I understood she didn't let her acclimate to her crate slowly. I'm not sure if she let her pee in it or not. I DO know that I am a pretty heavy sleeper and I may have slept through her trying to get me up before she peed. Right after I typed my last post she walked over and whimpered and I took her right out and she peed! No poo though...

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 06:58:46 AM »
Give her time and I bet you will have one fantastic pup...I agree with what Julia posted. 
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 07:38:01 AM »
I would recommend that you check out the sticky for bell training.  That should helo for when she is awake
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Little~Laila

• Weanling
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 06:16:29 PM »
I would recommend that you check out the sticky for bell training.  That should helo for when she is awake

I read the bell training thread... is that something I should start NOW or wait until ahe is a little more house broken?

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 06:20:51 PM »
You can start that now.. the idea is to get her to associate the bell with going outside to potty.  That way once she's got a better sense of when she needs to go, she'll ring the bell when she's got the urge.

People train to different steps in the process, but if you are having potty problems, I recommend really enforcing that the bell is for potty trips *only* -- having a pup that rings the bell because they want to go out is bound to be frustrating if potty training isn't going so hot.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Little~Laila

• Weanling
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 08:08:18 PM »
Alright... some advice is needed now! Laila has been AWESOME with her crate, she goes in when asked, rarely whines, sleeps all night and yadda yadda yadda! Here is my issue.
We figured out that she likes to potty in the mulch, which is great! It will make it much easier to train her to go to one spot since my husband make her a "poo" garden outback for her to use!
Back to my issue....
She will go outside and pee and poo.... lots of praise and a treat are given.... then she comes in an 9/10 times she will pee on the floor with in 15 minutes of being outside... WHY?  ??? This is getting SO frustrating.... I haven't ever yelled or spanked her, only positive praise.. but she KEEPS doing it!
ANY advice would help! (oh and I don't have nay rugs so it isn't a scent thing.... I have pergo floors that get cleaned with a paper towel and a clorox wipe when she DOES pee)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 08:38:27 PM »
Hmm, when you come back inside, what do you do? Do you keep her in view for the 15 minutes or is she doing this when you are out of sight?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Little~Laila

• Weanling
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 10:17:13 PM »
Hmm, when you come back inside, what do you do? Do you keep her in view for the 15 minutes or is she doing this when you are out of sight?

Well I have seen it on the floor and I have seen her in the act. When I DO see her I say "Laila NO" very firm;y and she stops and I take her right back out to finish. She's still does it though and I can't understand why... most of the time when she goes out she pees at least twice... ???

aquagirl900

• Socialized
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 10:27:30 PM »
Have you started the bell training yet?  Jetta used to do this as well...go out then come in and pee.  Once we started the bell training at 12 weeks she never had any accidents while we are home since 13 weeks old.