Author Topic: Atlanta area members, need some info for rescue....  (Read 680 times)

My Isa Bug

• Potty Trained
Atlanta area members, need some info for rescue....
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:01:52 AM »
I'm hoping that some members in the Atlanta area, or a little outside of the area (I'm willing to drive some distance) might be able to point me in the right directions.  There are two dogs at the shelter my sister is working at that are not doing "great" with shelter life.

The first is a white boxer girl named Daisee.  She's young and I'm not sure how long she's been at the shelter, but she seems to not be getting the attention and the exercise she really needs.  There are a few of the volunteers there that won't go in with her because she is so rambuncious.  I went to see her today and was mauled by lovins.  She almost knocked me over she was so excited to have someone there with her.  I think she would be far better off with a rescue that may be able to foster her in a home with someone to work on manners and what not with her.  I'm thinking though, that a rescue may not look to take her because she's in a no-kill shelter here and in no immediate daanger of being put down.  She has an indoor/outdoor run, but there's not really a difference in temperature.

The second dog is a beautiful GSD named Diva.  She was being fostered and then ended up back in the shelter.  Something happened with the family that fostered her, so it's through no fault of her own that she ended up back at the shelter.  She has decided to stop eating now that she's back.  She's starting to get really skinny (ribs are easily felt and her hip bones are easily felt as well.  I told my sister to try hand feeding her and possibly make some satin balls to help her get the weight back up.  I just think she's really depressed and may need to be back in a foster home before she does any real damage with refusing her meals. 

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any breed specific (or all breed) rescues that may be able to take either of these babies in.  Both are pretty young and I hate to see them doing their thing.  A rowdy dog like Daisee may be passed up because she's too rowdy.  I don't think that Diva will starve herself too much longer, but you never know.

If anyone can point me in the direction of any rescues, I would greatly appreciate it.  As I said before, I don't mind driving for a distance going outside of the Atlanta area if it would mean that onne of them finds a better suited situation.

Thank you all in advance for any help or information.
The dog has an enviable mind; it remembers the nice things in life and quickly blots out the nasty. ~ Barbara Woodhouse

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
Re: Atlanta area members, need some info for rescue....
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 07:48:37 AM »
I couldnt find a GA Boxer rescue so try contacting the Boxer Rescue Association http://www.americanboxerrescue.org/

Here is a GSD rescue in GA
http://www.nobleshepherdrescue.com/

Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

My Isa Bug

• Potty Trained
Re: Atlanta area members, need some info for rescue....
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 12:37:37 PM »
Thank you Teresa.  A lot of the links that I've been chasing online just lead to PetFinder or other sites like that and it's been driving me crazy.

Dive looks a lot like the GSD on the front page of the site you linked above.  She's got a longer coat and skinnier, but the markings are very close.
The dog has an enviable mind; it remembers the nice things in life and quickly blots out the nasty. ~ Barbara Woodhouse