Author Topic: Puppy and Kitten Mill Bill in MN  (Read 1414 times)

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
Puppy and Kitten Mill Bill in MN
« on: January 27, 2010, 10:19:52 AM »
This states all breeders other than 'hobby breeders', but it doesn't define hobby breeders.  I am taking it to mean BYB?  Am I wrong? 

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/bldbill.php?bill=S0007.0.html&session=ls86

http://www.animalhumanesociety.org/prevention/legislation/puppymillbill/readthebill

Summary of the bill
The bill will give the Minnesota Board of Animal Health the authority to license breeders and hold them accountable to comply with existing applicable care standards under federal and state laws and regulations. In turn, this will allow our humane agents the statutory authority to more effectively reduce the suffering of animals confined and living in inhumane conditions. More specifically, the proposed bill will:

* Improve the ability to inspect dog and cat breeding facilities to ensure that breeders comply with existing laws and regulations and meet specific standards of care,
    * Provide licensing and regulatory authority to a single unit of government.
    * Provide corrective orders, and administrative and criminal penalties for violations

Ugh.  Another law to try to enforce the laws already on the books.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:21:54 AM by Bugsys Mom »
Vicky

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
Re: Puppy and Kitten Mill Bill in MN
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »
Well to some a BYB can be considered a hobby breeder .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
Re: Puppy and Kitten Mill Bill in MN
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 11:03:10 AM »
"Hobby breeder" means a person who possesses animals and is engaged in the business of breeding animals for direct sale or for exchange in return for consideration, and who possesses fewer than six adult intact female animals for the purpose of breeding.

Possess. "Possess" means to have custody of or have control over.

An adult dog is a dog 24 weeks of age or older.

That means I'd be considered more than a hobby breeder, since I have more than six intact females over six months old that I "have control over" via co-ownerships.  (The reality, of course, is that I only have a tiny portion of control and it's really more just a consultation type of thing; but if one wanted to come after me, they would probably have a legal footing according to these definitions.)

The House version of bill defines a hobby breeder as having fewer than 20 adult intact animals (either sex) or produces fewer than five litters per year.

Minnesota already has an animal cruelty bill that has some pretty good teeth; a first minor violation is a misdemeanor and stays on your record for at least five years (subsequent minor violations increase the penalty); a violation that results in substantial bodily harm to the animal carries a penalty of up to one year in prison and a $3000 fine.  Seizure can occur with the first offense.

Minnesota law currently provides for licensing of breeding facilities, inspection of premises, and a scale of penalties for violations.  The state also has a reasonable, sensible pet and companion animal welfare act, as well as a provision for a "Best Management Standards for Care" developed in conjunction with the Minnesota Federated Humane Society, the Minnesota Council for Dog Clubs, the American Dog Owners Association, the Board of Animal Health, the Minnesota Purebred Dog Breeders Association, the Minnesota Citizens for Animal Care, the United States Department of Agriculture, and the Minnesota Veterinary Medical Association.

Does this bill really do anything existing laws don't do?  It sure doesn't seem like it!
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store