Author Topic: Seeking advice  (Read 2912 times)

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
Re: Seeking advice
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 10:59:19 AM »
Darn Women!  ha ha ha
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

tbs

• Potty Trained
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 11:05:40 AM »
Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. my OH wants a certain color.  I have tried explaining it, I am trying to get her to join the site, here so she can learn some more info.

Nice to know.

Knox(aka Knucklehead ~ 6.02.07) CGC RN

GypsyMystic

• Potty Trained
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 01:13:38 PM »
Maybe you should get her to go see the puppies, just to look.  :yes: ;)

When I started looking I was set on a fawn male, came home with a brindle female. Then a couple years later started looking again for a fawn male, and came home with a fawn female! DH said at least I got the color right with the second one. I don't have any regrets or resentment towards either one, and I did have the option of fawn males in both litters that I picked from.
Margaret
Gypsy RE, NA, OAJ, OF, CGC  8/10/03
Mystic OA, OAJ, OF, CA  CGC 5/12/06
Stryker Can/UKC CH Winmere Only Time Will Tell CA 3/8/09
Carly  Mystic's baby 7/26/10
Abby  Stryker's baby 12/15/1

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 01:43:39 PM »
Hi,
I'm definitely coming in on this a bit late, but I just wanted to tell you to keep your options open. While I realize that we all have our color preferences, personality of the puppy is much, much more important than the color is. I won't allow my prospective buyers pick the puppy that they want, rather I will match them with the best personality for their current living situation, personality and lifestyle.

I also wanted to add that there is absolutely, positively no way that I'd ever consider purchasing a puppy (or using stud services from, for that matter) a breeder who doesn't holter. Holtering is the absolutely most basic, bare minimum health test that breeders should be performing, IMO. ARVC is no joke - dogs drop dead from this condition while running in the yard with no warning at all.

Good luck in your search. I know it can be frustrating, but keep in mind that you are making a decision that will last you for the next 10-14 years of your life. . . In the grand scheme of things, 3-4 months really isn't that long to wait, but I know that it absolutely seem like it is right now.
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11

tbs

• Potty Trained
Update
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 12:25:11 PM »
Okay so I have gotten the wife to consider brindle. I was also searching around for other available litters and ran across this one: http://www.pro-boxers.com/levi_x_meghan_8wks.html the wife has fallen in love with Puppy #6. I am not to sure about this breeder(main page:http://www.pro-boxers.com/) though as she has alot of dogs, and non of the females seem to have been shown. Going to call breeder and get more info.

Knox(aka Knucklehead ~ 6.02.07) CGC RN

Hobo

• Potty Trained
    • Hobo's Hearsay
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 12:29:43 PM »
I wonder why they didnt crop the ears on number 6, since they cropped all the others.

I am still reviewing the site but I noticed that.

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 12:30:37 PM »
They are fine, and these pups have a great pedigree.

http://www.pro-boxers.com/levi_x_meghan.html

Levi is a popular studd dog as well as Am / Mex Champion.  Its ok for the dam to not have a title as long as she is health tested.

Here is the page for Levi.

http://www.pro-boxers.com/levi.html
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 12:32:37 PM by Hanna Banana »

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 12:33:30 PM »
wonder why they didnt crop the ears on number 6, since they cropped all the others.

Hobo, she is not a show prospect, hence maybe reasoning behind leaving ears natural.

Hobo

• Potty Trained
    • Hobo's Hearsay
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 12:41:16 PM »

They are fine, and these pups have a great pedigree.

http://www.pro-boxers.com/levi_x_meghan.html

Levi is a popular studd dog as well as Am / Mex Champion.  Its ok for the dam to not have a title as long as she is health tested.

Here is the page for Levi.

http://www.pro-boxers.com/levi.html

There was nothing shown for the female being health tested?  When I followed the female link.

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 12:44:15 PM »
That would be something you would have to ask Peggy Otto (breeder / owner):)

Both of the dogs parents have been tested you can see the results on their pages, as for the dam herself, not sure, but would not see why not, but then again, something to ask:)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 12:48:32 PM by Hanna Banana »

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 12:46:20 PM »
Yes, puppy 6 sure is a cutie. I would agree that they probably left the ears natural because the puppy is not a show prospect.
If you find a litter of pups, you really need to meet them. If you do you will find that color really isn't a determining factor - it is personality. I think it is perfectly okay to have a color preference (I know I do), but personality/temperament should be more important.

When you call the breeder just make sure that both parents have been health tested, and that she is prepared to give you documentation showing the health testing (you never know she might be one of those breeder's who health tests the stud dogs but not the females, since there is nothing on the website about the female being tested?).

I would also want to know what Pro's Ace in the Hole died of, when he died at 7 years of age. This litter is line bred fairly heavily on him.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 12:59:48 PM by RocketBoxer »
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Hobo

• Potty Trained
    • Hobo's Hearsay
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 01:07:06 PM »
I saw a few people put up a coefficient of inbreeding table, with different numbers. 

What is that all about?  Is that something to be concerned with when choosing a breeder?

How do you read them, what is good what is bad?

Maybe we need are resident mathematician Carolyn.

RocketBoxer

• Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 01:13:30 PM »
I don't know much about it myself, but here is an interesting article -
http://www.canine-genetics.com/relation.htm
http://www.dogstuff.info/playing_coi_sharp.html

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 01:16:47 PM by RocketBoxer »
Kerry
www.rocketboxers.com

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 01:20:34 PM »
Not sure about the numbers thing, however "Linebreeding"  does happen with some rep. breeders.   I have seen pedigrees that the sire and dam have the same dog in their lineage.

I think you (the breeder) need to really know your lines well inorder to acheive what you want with linebreeding.

That maybe a good topic in the "Ethics" category Hobo since it confuses me at times too!!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 01:22:16 PM by Hanna Banana »

RocketBoxer

• Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 01:43:35 PM »
Most books that I have read on genetics say that line breeding is the way to go, and a lot of people do it. Line breeding can magnify the positive in your dogs, but it can also magnify the negative traits. One of my books says the following -
'The object of linebreeding is to accmulate the genetic contributions of one outstanding ancestor, and this ancestor becomes of paramount importance. ....it should not be necessary to point out that, unless the dog to which one is line-breeding is truly an outstanding example of its breed, both physically and genetically, the breeder may be downgrading his stock rather that upgrading it.'

Say, if for example, you had a pedigree where the same dog was present multiple times and this dog lived a long and healthy life - say he lived till he was 14. I would think that would be a pretty good thing. The chances are good that this dog's genes have been passed down to the puppies, and you would hope for health and longevity in the puppies.
But, by the same token, if you had a dog, who appeared multiple times in the pedigree and this dog died young and had a serious health issue, the chances are also good that this might be passed down to the puppies. The chances are far greater that there would be an issue, as opposed to this dog just appearing once in the pedigree.

Now, I am not saying that there is an issue with these puppies. I have no idea. But, if I were a puppy buyer I would want to know more about this dog, seeing that he appears so often in this pedigree.  He could have been run over by a car, for all I know.....

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 02:03:18 PM by RocketBoxer »
Kerry
www.rocketboxers.com