Author Topic: Opinions Please  (Read 1732 times)

Cassies Mom

• Socialized
Opinions Please
« on: June 05, 2007, 11:12:18 AM »
I have a friend who's interested in purchasing a boxer.  I did some research for them.  They were going to get their from the couple we got Cassie from, I've convinced them to do some research. I found this breeder for them.  Any opinions or suggestions?

http://www.ambossboxers.com/

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
Re: Opinions Please
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 11:19:48 AM »
My honest opinion, if they are looking for a pet pup, then I think they could fine one from another rep breeder for less than 1800.00 CAD.

They are also a kennel of Euro lines producing Euro pups, are your friends looking for a Euro dog?? 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:21:27 AM by Hanna Banana »
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Cassies Mom

• Socialized
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 11:23:45 AM »
Nope but there was only 3 under ontario breeders when I researched it and one is only for show and the other I couldn't open the site.  I didn't know where else to look

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 11:28:52 AM »
I am not an expert on what pups are going for in Canada, I could be totally wrong, but 1800.00 CAD is about 1700.00 US dollars.   I think they said there is a 6 year health guarantee, and a 750.00 insurance (health clause) so not really sure how that works.

Other may be more beneficial in this area :)

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 11:34:50 AM »
Check out the Canada Kennel Club list of shows.

http://www.ckc.ca/en/Default.aspx?tabid=87

Maybe see whats around the area where boxers are going to be and then go check them out, meet some people, breeders and dogs?

Just a suggestion:)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 11:36:18 AM »
Would your friend be willing to travel outside of Ontario?  That might increase her choices.  Also, you may find folks at a dog show that are good breeder who don't have a website or online listing, so maybe you two could go together.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

tbs

• Potty Trained
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 11:38:58 AM »
Non of there dogs seem to have titles. Do they show dogs? They also say they will sell a boxer you can breed for 3000 CAD. Few things don't seem right.

Knox(aka Knucklehead ~ 6.02.07) CGC RN

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 11:41:42 AM »
Here are a list from some international link I have postmarked -

http://hometown.aol.com/mayaslady/Breeders.htm#Canada

However this is just a list, does not mean they are necessarily resp/reput.  But work a look:)

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 11:44:18 AM »
Non of there dogs seem to have titles. Do they show dogs? They also say they will sell a boxer you can breed for 3000 CAD. Few things don't seem right

Does not seem like it, however they are Euros and could have a working background.  That is something that would have to be investigated:)   

Cassies Mom

• Socialized
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 11:50:38 AM »
I contacted that CKC (thanks Heather) asking regarding breeders. 

Julia- I don't know how far they will be willing to travel. I will talk to them.

Non of there dogs seem to have titles. Do they show dogs? They also say they will sell a boxer you can breed for 3000 CAD. Few things don't seem right

Does not seem like it, however they are Euros and could have a working background.  That is something that would have to be investigated:)

What is wrong with a working background?  Are there more problems or something?  I honestly don't know anything about working backgrounds.

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 11:53:22 AM »
A few Club member listings:

Northern Ontario Boxer Club
Boxer Club of Western Ontario

Non of there dogs seem to have titles. Do they show dogs?

I'm guessing not; they say, "show titles are never a priority to us."

They also say:
We think that dog shows alone are not the best criteria in preserving and maintaining the breed for future generations, in producing healthy dogs, or in canine welfare. In fact, shows sometimes promote the reverse of these qualities.

While I don't entirely disagree with that sentiment, I don't see anything about working titles on their dogs, either, so that's a question I would ask if I were considering one of their puppies.

They also say they will sell a boxer you can breed for 3000 CAD. Few things don't seem right.

Higher prices for breeding prospects is not uncommon, but these prices are very high compared to the average; their pet price is about equal to what most breeders charge for full ownership of a show/breeding prospect.  I've seen high prices like these from a few other Canadian breeders, but they were in Alberta.

I think they said there is a 6 year health guarantee, and a 750.00 insurance (health clause)

A six-year health guarantee is good, but I'd ask what they offer if you don't want another dog.  The $750.00 insurance is a standard 6-week thing that the CKC provides for puppies bred by CKC members.  (AKC is doing pretty much the same thing these days, though to all registered puppies since they don't have individual members.)
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 11:55:33 AM »
Well, I liked the way that they appear to value temperament and health, however, I did not like the way that they poo-poo'd showing, and they have no information as to how they evaluate structure on their dogs prior to breeding.
I also did not see anything about them being working dogs at all, or being involved in any sort of performance activity. At least this would have been one way that structure could have been evaluated.

I have mixed feelings about them and I think that their prices are high.

Go to the Boxer Club of Canada website - there is a list of breeders listed by region.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Hanna Banana

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 12:01:47 PM »
Working backgrounds such as Tracking, Schutzhund, or any other type is great and very common in import boxers.

However if they have the backgrounds of working dogs, they may not be what they are looking for in a pet puppy if they test well in any of the working categories.   

I am not 100% sure, Renee would be more valuable but they may posses a higher drive and energy level than you typical boxer pup if they come from 100% true working lines.

Then again, that has not been proven 100% either.  ( I think)