Author Topic: Question about showing  (Read 1229 times)

Tiberius_Baby_Cakes

Question about showing
« on: April 30, 2007, 10:22:39 PM »
Why are white boxers not allowed to be show dogs? They are not any less pretty, but that might just be my opinon.

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Question about showing
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 10:48:41 PM »
I agree that white boxers are pretty (I might be biased though!)!

It's because usually dogs are shown so that they meet the standard and then can be bred.  Whites cannot be bred because they may pass on the white gene to pups - and completely white pups are at a higher chance for deafness because of the lack of pigmentation in the skin.  So since whites cannot be bred, there is no reason to show them. 

Also, any boxer that has a coat that has more than one-third white cannot be shown.  So that's another reason.
Riley - 9/19/2008

Tiberius_Baby_Cakes

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 11:04:11 PM »
All well I guess.. maybe one day it will change tho

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 08:51:53 AM »
All well I guess.. maybe one day it will change tho

This is unlikely until they can isolate the gene for deafness and are able to do genetic testing on individual dogs
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 02:16:01 PM »
As Theresa mentioned, it's unlikely at this point. Just think of all the heartbreaking and harder to detect genetic flaws that our breed is plagued with - heart problems, hips, etc -  it just wouldn't be responsible to add an easily detectable/avoidable problem like deafness to the gene pool.   So unless they can keep that gene from being passed, white boxes will continue to make fabulous pets.

Also, since whites are produced from regular responsible breedings between genetically flashy dogs, I don't really see a reason to add them to the gene pool.  Whites will still exist w/in the breed even if they are never bred themselves.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Tiberius_Baby_Cakes

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 01:14:44 AM »
yea that makes sense. I still love em tho!!! :smitten: