Author Topic: A bit concerned...should I be???  (Read 802 times)

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
A bit concerned...should I be???
« on: November 11, 2009, 08:46:13 AM »
First off...sorry this is going to be a long rant!

I have always purchased Foster & Smith Lamb & Rice as a supplement to add to the homecooked I make.  It isn't the best but when I checked last spring was about middle of the road.  I figured since they only receive a bit of kibble and I added to it, I was making the kibble better.

Anyway I ordered some the beginning of the month because there was a deal on shipping and I had a 15 dollar off coupon.  In the interim I purchased some Canidade Lamb and Rice to feed.  Well OH had been feeding and last night was the first time I made their dinner using this "new" F&S.  At first I thought my eyes were going bad, but after I got my glasses I knew what I was seeing was real!  The color of the dog food was like a night and day difference!  It was so light in color, almost a light tan/yellow.  I still had some of the old in their treat ball so I pulled some out to compare...yep I was right, the old was a nice brownish color...and laying nex to the "new" was very obvious.  I also had a piece of the Canidade left, similar in color to the "original" F&S, a darker color, and again so obvious.

So I call F&S to ask WTH is going on and I get, we changed manufacturers, you recieve a letter.  NO I didn't! I ask to speak to the supervisor and she said that all people on ther auto-ship received letters, I was a good customer with a long history, she had no idea why I wasn't sent a letter other than I wasn't on auto-ship.  OK so back to my original question for the call...why the difference in color.  She tells me the way they manufacture the kibble may be the reason.  I am like NO WAY!  I believe they are now using inferior products and not using the same amounts of Lamb as before since not only is the color different, but it is drier in texture, less greasy (not that the old was greasy, but if it sat on a paper towel a little grease would show, just like Canidade...but the new did not do this. 

For 2 hours I am trying to tell her I believe that the quality of their product is not the same, that I am worried that the quality control is not there, etc.  She is fighting me by saying F&S would not sell inferior products, that the ingredients are the same.  I am like, if no one is there to police the production how can you say that...

So the conversation ends with her sending me a mail package to send back samples of the old and the new.  In the mean time I am concerned about feeding this to them.  So tonight I will be picking up a bag of food from Mounds and I think will be looking for another place to purchase my kibble from

Am I wrong to be pissed? I feel I should have been notified...how hard is it to check who your loyal customers are...everything is in a database! 

Am I wrong that the manufacturing of a product would not change the color of the product if all ingredients are the same?  I mean Canidade wasn't made where the original F&S was made and the color is right on...

Am I wrong to be worried?
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
Re: A bit concerned...should I be???
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 08:48:58 AM »
You should have totally been notified...even if you werent on autoship there should have been a notice on the website.  Good luck
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 08:52:14 AM »
I dont think you're wrong to be worried at all. With the change in color and texture, I would definitely be concerned that something's not right. Changing manufacturers is one thing...but to compromise the product in such a way that it's clearly a visible change- makes you wonder what going on that you don't see.

TOTW has had some freaky things going on too. I know another boxer friend that noticed that she'd buy one bag - it would look normal. Buy another - and it was smaller pieces of kibble. She's been dealing with the manufacturer as well and getting pretty much the same response. I've noticed the changes in kibble size a couple of times, but it's not effected my dogs at all. But there was no change in color or texture. It might have been a lil bit lighter, but nothing drastic.

Good luck!
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:17:49 AM »
I will post pics of the kibble differences tonight.  Once you see it, you will also agree I think.

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:43:37 AM »
Yeah Claire it sounds fishy to me too.  I don't think I would feed it and I would also be pissed.
Vicky

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 10:12:10 AM »
I just got off the phone with one of the vets from F&S...they called me to address my concerns.  Still clinging to the manufacturing of the kibble...but he did ask for me to send him the samples and then he will send off to be examined.

Something about spraying probiotics on before and now they don't have to do it...I asked if Canidade does that?  Sumpun just don't seem right here...

ltournat

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 10:29:52 AM »
that's bizarre...sounds like they were hoping no one would notice :thumbsdown:
________
~Lisa, mom to Felix~

moorea

• Fully Weaned
    • http://www.mlaperformancedogs.com
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 10:53:32 AM »
I think that most people don't noticed things like that.  Most of here would notice that because we just don't throw food into our dogs bowls, we take care in knowing what they are eating.  That is a good catch that you made. I hope that it gets resolved. Keep us updated.
Melissa
Owned by Moorea TFE-I, FDCH-S,CGC also owned by Angel SD,JD,FD and Lexi TF-I,FD. And Isabella (skin kid) born 2/23/2009.
Proud member of Rev it Up Flyball Team and BADD