Author Topic: Banning Tail Docking.  (Read 2085 times)

kaz

• Fully Weaned
Re: Banning Tail Docking.
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 03:34:10 PM »
my vet was lobbying MP's too...not cos he is pro docking, but because he is pro choice...and realises the slippery slope we as a pet loving nation has begun to slip down...Government controlled everything...!!!

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 04:55:09 PM »
Believe it or not the US is not much better.  I sincerely hope taill docking is not banned here.  There is a need for it unlike ear cropping.  They are done for entirely different reasons.  Tail docking is not merely for cosmetic reasons.  I love the cropped ear look, but I don't have the patience to put into the care and upkeep.  It is like the government outlawing circumcision. ::)
Vicky

Hulk

• Moved On
  • Moved On
  • Kiss me Hulk or I won't let you up!!
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 10:10:07 PM »
I have met boxers with tails at the park, apparently there is a breeder in austin that does not dock or crop...Talking with the owners, I asked how it was having a tail and they said it was not a problem...Like everyone has already stated it is about choice...While you guys in the UK don't have a choice either do those in the US who are against docking...I grew up around Ridgebacks and their tails much like the Boxer is long and powerful! I did see accidents with their tales from time to time but as a standard the breed is not docked. I have seen dogs wacked in the face by labs with their powerful tail but again docking for them would be cruel as they are strong swimmers(use the tail for swimming)...Other then Boxers injuring their tale which is not certain they will, why else? If it is not about cosmetics then the AKC should re-evaluate their rules the same way they did with cropping..
I appreciate what breeders do for the boxer as far as keeping the genes and protecting the standard..I completely understand why it would be hard for a breeder not to dock(age) BUT it would be nice to have a choice....
I am not trying to upset anyone but the I guess the grass is always greener on the other side
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 02:23:42 AM by Hulk »
Our days our long we eat, sleep, wrestle, sleep and do all over.
Hulk and Storm

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 08:08:59 AM »
Like everyone has already stated it is about choice...While you guys in the UK don't have a choice either do those in the US who are against docking...

I'm in the US, and I absolutely have a choice...I may choose to work with a breeder in the states and ask them not to dock a tail, I have a choice to import a Boxer from a country that does not dock tails. You have the same choices I do, right?

If it is not about cosmetics then the AKC should re-evaluate their rules the same way they did with cropping..

ABC...the ABC makes those decisions.  And you have the choice to get involved if you feel strongly one way or another.

I see alot of Boxers with tails, many of my friends own them, and the dog I bred Josie to has a tail, so I've grown used to them and could go either way - point being, I have that choice.

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 08:42:03 AM »
Renee -

Just a quick question.   Would it be harder for a boxer with a tail to compete in agility or is that something you just get used to as in say training the other dogs with tails?
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 09:06:06 AM »
It's actually the Boxers that are docked that have to learn to compensate balance, jumping, turning and acceleration/braking, because they don't have the tail as a counter-balance.

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 09:11:50 AM »
Gottach - that does make sense! 
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Hulk

• Moved On
  • Moved On
  • Kiss me Hulk or I won't let you up!!
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 05:44:59 PM »
Renee-thanks for the options...I am involved...So far, the breeders I have contacted are not willing to do that...You are so lucky that those breeders do that for you. :thumbsup:
Our days our long we eat, sleep, wrestle, sleep and do all over.
Hulk and Storm