Author Topic: Haws..  (Read 1169 times)

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
Haws..
« on: May 02, 2007, 12:47:55 PM »
Is a white Haw less desireable then double dark haws? (with regards to a show propect?)
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
Re: Haws..
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 01:05:19 PM »
Good question.  Also, what is an unpigmented haw is that white?
Vicky

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 01:12:52 PM »
Umm- what is a haw?
Riley - 9/19/2008

Carolyn

• Vet Checked
  • My dogs are not spoiled ... I'm just well trained!
    • Custom Throw Blankets
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 01:15:16 PM »
I was under the impression that white/unpigmented haws were a fault in the show ring, I think Jennifer posted about that before hmmmm......I think the AKC and the FCI standard call for dark haws.

Steph, haws are the white or black pieces of skin on the eyes, like a 3rd eyelid.... I believe

Ok, I found the descriptions:

AKC
Eyes
Dark brown in color, frontally placed, generous, not too small, too protruding, or too deepset. Their mood-mirroring character, combined with the wrinkling of the forehead, gives the Boxer head its unique quality of expressiveness. Third eyelids preferably have pigmented rims.

FCI (this is the international registry and uses the "origin" country of the dog for it's description) here is the link: http://www.fci.be/nomenclatures_detail.asp?lang=en&l=D&file=group2&name=Deutscher+Boxer#section2  go down to Deutcher Boxer (german boxer ;) ) and then click on the teeny tiny "EN" on the right, it will open up a word document that has the standard in it, very interesting to see the slight differences. for example the haws, the AKC says it prefers the dark haws but the FCI requires it
Eyes : The dark eyes are neither too small nor protruding or deep set.  Their expression conveys energy and intelligence and must not be threatening or piercing.  Eye rims must be dark. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 01:24:16 PM by Carolyn »
Carolyn

Custom Throw Blankets for Boxer Rescue of ABQ
Click Here

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 02:52:09 PM »
Double dark haws are the ideal.  If the eyes are tight, unpigmented (light/white - same thing) haws aren't as big of a deal as if the eyes are loose (the main issue is that they detract from expression; there is some theory also that light haws cause reflection problems in bright light - dark haws would work like the black paint football players use under their eyes; tight eyes would minimize either issue).  Double light is often less distracting that one of each, but again that would depend on the tightness of the eyes.

The Worldwide Boxer site has good information about eye size, shape, and tightness, as well as a very good illustration of the dramatic difference an unpigmented haw can make:
http://www.worldwideboxer.com/PAGE6.html - about 1/3 of the way down the page
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store