Author Topic: Crate Question  (Read 1498 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Crate Question
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 07:01:09 PM »
I taught leave it (actually I used "wait") very similarly to the other - I held a piece of chicken in my open hand, if Dash moved to sniff it, I closed my hand. If he left it, I fed him a treat from my other hand and praised him.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 09:50:13 PM »
  I agree with everyone else on the leave it strategy. Definatly treat with something other than the leave it object.

as far as the onions and grapes, yes they are toxic as is Chocolate. More so dark Chocolate but in all these things if you drop one little piece on the floor and don't notice the dog will not keel over from one little piece. An accessive amount would be bad however.
  Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 09:54:39 AM »
What helped to save my sanity is that my daycare playroom was off limits to puppies . At least until they learned some boundaries . They learned how to behave around my kids first then they were allowed into the playroom when they could control themselves a bit better .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

newboxermominMN

• Fully Weaned
  • Kaycee should be a model for THE DOG
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 01:49:17 PM »
That would be a great way to help ease her into the daycare kids, but unfortunately, our house is too small to block off the day care playroom (aka our living room).  So I just alternate between having the pup in her crate and the crawling infant in his (aka the playpen) so neither of them can get at the other, but can still "sniff" at each other thru the crate door or the mesh siding.  We're slowly making progress with the "leave it" command, although Kaycee listens 90% better when it's about leaving her treat alone as opposed to say leaving the kids alone.  Or my feet. I swear she has a foot obsession! She's either chewing on them, laying on them, sitting on them, or just growling and pouncing on them.  Is that a boxer thing?