Author Topic: Frustrated today  (Read 2455 times)

newboxermominMN

• Fully Weaned
  • Kaycee should be a model for THE DOG
Frustrated today
« on: August 12, 2009, 08:05:47 PM »
ARG!! Kaycee had been doing so well about not having accidents in the house until today.  We've had maybe 3 since Sunday, all having been my fault.  We have been taking her out every 2-2.5hrs during the day and until today that was working like magic.  TWICE today, she's pooed in the house!  And I wish I could say it was my fault because I didn't take her out or something, but we had been averaging a trip outside every 60-90 mins today, for about 5-20 mins each time (most of them average about 15 mins), and we only came back in the house because she is laying in the grass, looking like she's settling in for a nap.  Then without warning, she just starts walking a tad funny and poos as she goes!!  Is this normal?  Anyone else have this issue? I can't take her out more often than that, because we have 3 kids (6 yr old and twin 2 yr olds) that like to take advantage of no parental supervision, not to mention day care children (3yr old, 9month old, and 3 month old).  We do have a tie out attached to the handrail on the stairs, but I am not at all comfortable in putting her outside alone.  Any suggestions as to what to do about this?

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
Re: Frustrated today
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 09:11:46 PM »
 Pups will have accidents. If your busy it's easy to miss the signs. Chaulk it up to a bad day, don't get frustrated and keep up what your doing.
  Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 09:24:04 PM »
I can have a bad day with both my three and two year old.  Like E said, there esp when they are young puppies there are good days and days you got to go back to basics.

Takes a lot of time and patients but keep up your potty schedule and rewards for going and you'll be fine!!
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

ltournat

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 09:45:11 PM »
She's only 9 weeks, so there are bound to be accidents.  Just remember, when a slip up does occur, immediately go back to square one and start the house training all over.

Have you thought of teaching her bell training?
________
~Lisa, mom to Felix~

newboxermominMN

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 11:15:30 PM »
I've been reading alot about the bell training, and I would like to get going on that. Unfortunately, we don't have any bell type thing (or anything that would make noise loud enough to always get my attention) and I haven't yet gotten a chance to get to the store to look.  But I definitely think that will make it easier on both her and I!  Any idea about what age they are usually more or less housebroke?

boxerma

• Socialized
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 03:52:47 AM »
Yup I'd say it's just a bad day.  She is still very young, but be consistant and she will get it.  And when she does go potty outside, PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE her!

I did bell training with Trigger when he was a pup, and he caught on very quickly.  Within the first 1-2 weeks he knew what the bell was for.  He still had accidents if I slipped up of course.  I just went to a pet store and bought a small bell that would normally go in a bird cage and tied it to some fishing line on the door knob.  :)
Kristen
"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does."

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 07:12:51 AM »
Ah typical puppy...they have accidents!  I did bell training with Phoebe and it worked like a charm.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 08:52:58 AM »
All puppies learn at different rates so it is hard to say when she will be 100% trained . But my guess would be 6 months . You have to remember that she may be giving you a small sign that she needs to go out but you miss it , then they have no choice but to go inside .

A good but gross sign that they neeed to poop is that their butt will pucker , if you see that they you know she needs to go out .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 09:02:40 AM »
Also, even though you take her out in 2-2.5 hour intervals, you might be missing the key times when she actually needs to go out.  What is she doing right before you take her out - laying around, being good?  Chewing on a bone?  She probably doesn't need to go out then.  You want to make sure you take her out after eating, drinking, sleeping (when she wakes up on her own, not you waking her up), and playing - those are the activities that get puppies' bathroom functions going. 

Our Brody was an angel to train.  Right hand to God, he had maybe 3 accidents in the house since he came home at 8 weeks old.  Very good puppy.  On the other hand, I think I had to clean up an accident every other day with Riley.  He was much much harder to housetrain.  I just had to clean up a pee spot the other day, of course it is our fault - we fed them, played, then Josh and I went outside without them and left them free roam for about a half hour.  Too long for the little guy after eating and playing. haha.
Riley - 9/19/2008

newboxermominMN

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 10:57:41 PM »
AHA!  That's probably what I was doing wrong.  I was more or less just going by the clock and not really following along with Kaycee's signals so much.  I was (and am) bringing her out after sleeping, eating, and wild playing.  But I was also just taking her out when she was just laying around but it'd been awhile since she went out.  I'll have to make sure I watch her closer for her signals.

Speaking of signals, is there a way to tell the difference between when a pup is sniffing for a place to go or just sniffing around because they are being curious/smell something interesting? 

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 09:54:29 PM »
It is pretty subtle and I don't think every pup's "look" is exactly the same.  If it's poop, the poochie butt is a good sign... one bonus to potty training a boxer, they are anatomically obvious.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »
 LOL..... Yup, can't miss the I gotta go butt.  :laugh4:
  Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 09:12:32 AM »
You might want to consider bell training with her.  Beas never gave us a signal....just popped a squat and went.  But the bell training helped lots
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

newboxermominMN

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 09:30:02 AM »
As soon as I can remember to find a bell ( :wall:) we plan on doing that training! lol  The "puckered"  butt has been a good sign the past day or so.  Thanks for the tip!

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 11:16:25 AM »
As soon as I can remember to find a bell ( :wall:) we plan on doing that training! lol  The "puckered"  butt has been a good sign the past day or so.  Thanks for the tip!

I got a whole bag of bells at Michaels craft store.  It's nice that you get like 20...cause I have a tendancy to squish the bell in the door which causes the ball thingy to fall out and thus no more jingling
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011