Author Topic: Should I set an alarm?  (Read 1166 times)

newboxermominMN

• Fully Weaned
  • Kaycee should be a model for THE DOG
Should I set an alarm?
« on: August 11, 2009, 01:58:19 PM »
Kaycee is 9 weeks old, so in theory, she should be let out every 2.5-3 hrs.   We did the alarm last night, every 2 hrs, and we always ended up waking her up to go out. But she would do her business, except at the 4am trip... she was sound asleep so we figured we'd wait to see when she woke up.  She never did and didn't go out again til just before 6.  We take her water bowl up about 8, and trying to get the house to sleep by 10.  Should I set an alarm to make sure I get her out that often or should I just wait til she is whining to go out?  I may not always hear her whining, but my husband is a light sleeper and would. I only ask because being up every 2 hrs reminded me when my kids were babies, I'd let them wake me when they were ready for a clean diaper and a bottle, but my friend would always set an alarm and feed every 2 hrs like clockwork.  So just curious as to the best way to go about it with the pup.  I don't want her to get "in the habit" of going out every 2 hrs, and I don't know if setting the alarm night after night would make her used to that or not.  I'd eventually like to sleep all night again.. someday.. lol 

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Should I set an alarm?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 02:06:51 PM »
Well, the rule of "age in months plus 1" typically applies to crating during the day time, when they are more likely to be a little more active.  Since they are probably spending most of their time sleeping at night, they can go a little longer.  I would say you could at least do every 3 hours (that's what I started both of mine with, I think) and slowly increase that amount of time as she's doing better.

I think mine were down to being let out just once per night within the first few weeks to a month...but I don't remember for sure.
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 02:22:25 PM »
Our boys have slept with us in bed since the day they came home, so I might be in the minority here - we only took them out in the night time if they woke up.  Usually they woke up once, at the most.  If they didn't wake up - we didn't go out until it was time to get up and eat breakfast.  We almost never took them out during the night because they never woke up.  :laugh4:

Anyways, so my advice would be that every 2 hours is a little excessive.  Try twice a night, and if you have to wake her up to go both times, back it off until once a night.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:27:42 PM by steph0808 »
Riley - 9/19/2008

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 03:32:04 PM »
Mine slept with me too as pups and I knew when they moved it was potty time.  But I am a light sleeper, if I sleep at all.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 10:58:23 AM »
Peanut came to me at 12 weeks and she would sleep through the night unless my 3.5 year old Beas got up to potty.  But I am a light sleeper.
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

ltournat

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 11:41:10 AM »
Where is her kennel located?  I only let Felix out at night when he either whined or moved in bed with us.  Like Steph, that was only like once per night, maybe at like 4-5am.
________
~Lisa, mom to Felix~

newboxermominMN

• Fully Weaned
  • Kaycee should be a model for THE DOG
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 01:10:28 PM »
We have her crate next to my hubby's side of the bed.  Last night, I think we only got up twice with her because she didn't go potty the last time I took her out before we went to bed.  I took her out about 515, and then again at 645 but usually my hubby takes her out for the 6ish potty break since he's up for work then anyway.  He probably didn't this morning since I took her out at 515 and he figured she would be ok for a bit yet.  We'll see how tonight goes, but so far she really is doing pretty well with it.  She's even starting to already catch on to the "sit" command (both verbal and hand signal) and the 'watch me' command as well.  Now if I can just break her of chewing on my daughter's favorite stuffed toy, we'd be doing well! 

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 09:25:38 PM »
Kash slept on his bed which was right next to our bed.  We did not set any alarms - I am a light sleeper and if and when he was awake, it was right out to potty, back to bed.  Seemed to work for us and seemed to be good esp when he started sleeping longer and longer!
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

kleinrider

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 02:54:02 PM »
When Cooper was a pup he is 8 months now we also took him out every 2 hours, then we started to let him go until he woke up and let us know he needed to go out.