Author Topic: Potty training help...  (Read 1940 times)

Jynx

• Just Whelped
Potty training help...
« on: July 20, 2009, 10:29:55 PM »
I just got a little girl.  She is almost 7 weeks old.  She does great when we are home and can take her out but she doesn't seem to understand the potty pads that we got her for when we are not home.  Please keep in mind, I am super proud of her for getting that outside is for potty and she is picking up super fast!   :sunny:  We are not kennel training and I know this is doing it the hard way and I'm okay with that.  Any ideas on getting her to use the potty pads? 

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
Re: Potty training help...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 10:36:37 PM »
No help with potti pads. Personally think they are  :barf:. How long is the pup alone? 7 weeks will need to be let out quite often.
  Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:39:38 PM »
Just curious....why did you choose not to kennel train?
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 10:42:30 PM »
You should post an Intro in the introduction section so we can get to know a little bit more about you.  :thumbsup:

Questions I have:

How long is she alone during the day?
Do you have a crate/kennel for her?
Would you consider a dog walker?

Potty pads are not a very good idea, IMO, because they teach your puppy to go inside. And your goal is training her to go potty outside, right?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Jynx

• Just Whelped
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 10:54:48 PM »
She is alone for approx 7 hours a day because my boyfriend and I both work the same schedule which is why we chose not to crate train her.  I want her to be able to run around and play when she is alone with the cat.  She behaves very well, she just doesn't go on the pads.  We take her out about evvery hour or more when we are home but she only woke up one time during the night.  I would like to find maybe some kind of petsitter that I could trade services for but we just moved here and I don't know any good resources to find anybody.  And she will not move if she is hooked to a leash for some reason.

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 11:06:28 PM »
The leash thing will just take a little time. most pups go through that. Keep working on it and it will click.
 As for 7 hours, way too long for that pup to not potty. I know the pads are your way to give her potty time but in the end your just reinforcing indoor potty. Not good in the long run. Crate training is a very good tool for this however that pup is way too young for more than an hour or two of time.

Jynx

• Just Whelped
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 11:16:29 PM »
I know that kennel training is good in the aid of potty training and I've considered crate training until she is potty trained.  I don't mean any offense to anybody who crate trains and I have done it before but it just made me sad to see a puppy go in a crate all day when I wasn't home.  Especially for long hours.  I want to find somebody that can at least come by and take her outside but I don't know anybody in our area.

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 06:44:22 AM »
Well first off...7 hours is a too long for a puppy to go without pottying.  I have a 5 month old puppy and I come home and let her out at lunch (rule of thumb is add 1 hour to the number of months old they are...and that's how long they can hold it.)  Since she is only 2 months old...she needs to go every 3 or so hours.  If you cant get home at lunch...then you should look for a dog walker until she is about 8-9 months old. 

As for crate training...if you make it a nice environment (i.e.- kongs filled with treats etc) it's the best way.  Dogs are "den" animals and should like the crate.  Crate training does a lot of things besides help with housebreaking (it keeps them from getting into anything dangerous and destroying your house.  I would recommend ditching the potty pads (it only confuses them) and starting crate training.

BTW-I used to live in Lakewood (went to Clover Park).
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 06:56:51 AM »
Way too long for her to be crated and the pee pads are a crutch not a training tool IMO!  You may want to consider having someone stop in mid day to potty her.
BTW how old was she when you got her?  Seems awfully young!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 07:18:40 AM »
Even if you don't have someone come in to let her out, giving her free roam of a large area is a bad idea. When she potties, she'll think that's OK to do wherever she happens to be.  At minimum, I would start gating her into a small, easily cleaned area (like a kitchen) that you can thoroughly puppy-proof. Then I'd ditch the puppy pads and plan to thoroughly clean the tile/lineo, etc, with enzymatic cleaner. Containing her also means when you are home, she's more likely to go in that one room, which is preferable to having to train her out of using the house as a toilet.

Beyond her not using them, if she decides it'd be fun to eat the puppy pads, you could be looking at dangerous blockage.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 07:51:43 AM »
I understand how you feel about crate training.  I was the same way 3 years ago when I got Bugsy.  But, I have since changed my mind.  Potty training is so much easier with the crate.  Altho your girl is only 7 weeks, she will not make it the 7 hours alone no matter what you do with her.  She will need to be let out a few times a day.  Anyway you or your BF could bring her to work with you?  Crates are not cruel, mine love their crate now.  They like the 'protection' they get in them.

Also, alowwing her free roam while you are gone is not only dangerous to your house, but also dangerous to her.  Many puppies have been injured or worse when their curiosity of tiny spaces, cords, etc. get the better of them.  Also, never leave a colar on her while she is in the house unattended.  That could be deadly.
Vicky

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 08:17:02 AM »
Very good point on the collar.

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 08:53:31 AM »
Also be careful with the puppy pads . I have heard way too many stories of puppies ripping them up and eating them . they can be dangerous if eaten and puppies have needed surgery to remove the blockage .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Jynx

• Just Whelped
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 07:42:02 PM »
I'm thinking about trying to put up a gate so that she is in the kitchen when we are not home.  At least until I find somebody that can stop by and take her out a few times during the day.  She is doing very well with going potty outside when we are there.  She even let me know that she had to go out this morning.  Next week, we are taking our work schedules down to 4 hours a day.

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 10:12:03 PM »
Not to harp on the pee pads, but think of it this way - it's fine for a puppy to make a little piddle or poo, but puppies get big. Do you want stinky soaked pads with logs on it hanging around on the floor of your house? I feel like they are bad idea from the get go, training your dog to hold it's bladder (with in reason) and go outside appropriately is much easier (and sanitary).

Also, crate training isn't a negative thing, it is safe for your puppy and your house & belongings. And it doesn't have to be permanent. Otis was crated when we were at work or away from home for the first 8 to 9 months, and gradually he built up to having free roam of the house. Every dog is different, your pup may just like the crate and feel safe & secure in it. It's worth a try. Good luck!
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)