Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 1221 times)

bombersmama

• Vet Checked
Recipes
« on: March 26, 2007, 10:03:59 PM »
I am trying to get some dog treat recipes so I can start making some for Bomber. If anyone has any good ones I would love to have them! As long as it doesnt have beef in it b/c he is allergic to beef.  I really would like some type of frozen treat too since summer is coming quickly! Thanks everyone!!
~*Shana*~

Proud Mama to:
Fur Kid:  Bomber, 1-10-2005
Skin Kid:  Landon John, 2-1-2009

grammie

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
Re: Recipes
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 12:23:03 PM »
where've you been lady?  haven't seen you in awhile!

hanna had some good treat recipes on the old forum.  I think there were some frozen ones too.  I make hanna's cheese and PB ones all the time now, instead of buying treats.  the recipes are really easy to modify with whatever you have on hand.

ferndoggle

• Weanling
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 04:28:43 PM »
Here are our favorites:

Sherman's Salmon Cookies
(warning...consuming too many of these causes exceptionally bad smells to come out of your dog!)

1 can salmon (or jack mackerel) with juice
2 eggs
sprinkle garlic powder
Parmesan cheese (1/2 to 1 cup)
enough rolled oats or buckwheat flour to make it goopy.

Smoosh it all together in a bowl and press into well greased small cookie sheet (spray hands with cooking spray or they'll be covered in Goop!). Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or so.

Lola's Liver Brownies

1 lb chicken livers
4 eggs
1 medium apple
1-2 carrots
1/2 cup parm cheese
2 cloves garlic
rolled oats

(This is best done in batches)
1. pulverize carrot, apple & eggs (shells included) & garlic...empty into large mixing bowl.
2. pulverize liver & cheese...add to veggie mix in bowl
3. Dump a bunch of rolled oats (3-4 cups...I never measure) & grind to a fine texture. This helps to get all of the liver off the sides of the food processor, making clean-up much easier.

Combine all ingredients and spread over a well greased cookie sheet (I put foil over mine & spray with Pam...even easier clean-up!). Bake at 425 for 30 minutes & turn off oven & let sit for an hour. Cut with pizza cutter into small brownies.

Penny's Peanut Butter Cookies
some peanut butter (maybe a cup)...I use all natural and nuke it for 30 seconds to make it soft
some honey (just squeeze some in...a couple tablespoons)
couple scoops fat free plain yogurt or cottage cheese
2 eggs
enough rolled oats or buckwheat flour to make it stick together

Smoosh it all together in a bowl and press into well greased small cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or so.

I make "Frosty Paws" with plain yogurt and peanut butter.  Appx 1/2 cup PB and 1 1/2 cup plain (or natural vanilla) yogurt...mix well & freeze in 1/2 cup disposable containers.  Yummo!
Jen in Pittsburgh
Sherman CGC, TDI...10 yo RottiShepX
Penny, CGC, TDI...5 yo BoxerX
Lola...18 mo White Boxer
http://ferndoggle.blogspot.com

dogs4jen

• Potty Trained
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 01:37:24 PM »
For the salmon cookies, do you bake it altogether on the cookie sheet or make little balls?  I've got a can of salmon sitting in the cupboard and I was thinking of trying the recipe for the girls.
Jen

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 01:45:22 PM »
Either way.  If you spread on a cookie sheet you can cut up after they are cooked, or you can makes little balls and press down to make individual cookies.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

dogs4jen

• Potty Trained
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 12:22:27 AM »
I made the salmon cookies today-the dogs love them.
Thanks for the recipe,
Jen

My Isa Bug

• Potty Trained
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 06:25:58 PM »
I don't remember where I found them, but I had made a few frozen treats for Jack & Isa.  One was just equal parts of yogurt and pure pumpkin mixed then frozen in an ice cube tray.  The other was yogurt, bananna and peanut butter blended then frozen in the ice cude tray (I can't remember the amounts, but will look to see if I can locate the actual recipe tonight).  They both loved them and got them every couple of days as a frozen treat in the summer.  Every time they heard me open the freezer they came running expecting me to pull out a treat for them.
The dog has an enviable mind; it remembers the nice things in life and quickly blots out the nasty. ~ Barbara Woodhouse

dianex

• Potty Trained
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 10:04:02 PM »
Here are our favorites:

Sherman's Salmon Cookies
(warning...consuming too many of these causes exceptionally bad smells to come out of your dog!)

1 can salmon (or jack mackerel) with juice
2 eggs
sprinkle garlic powder
Parmesan cheese (1/2 to 1 cup)
enough rolled oats or buckwheat flour to make it goopy.

Smoosh it all together in a bowl and press into well greased small cookie sheet (spray hands with cooking spray or they'll be covered in Goop!). Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or so.

Lola's Liver Brownies

1 lb chicken livers
4 eggs
1 medium apple
1-2 carrots
1/2 cup parm cheese
2 cloves garlic
rolled oats

(This is best done in batches)
1. pulverize carrot, apple & eggs (shells included) & garlic...empty into large mixing bowl.
2. pulverize liver & cheese...add to veggie mix in bowl
3. Dump a bunch of rolled oats (3-4 cups...I never measure) & grind to a fine texture. This helps to get all of the liver off the sides of the food processor, making clean-up much easier.

Combine all ingredients and spread over a well greased cookie sheet (I put foil over mine & spray with Pam...even easier clean-up!). Bake at 425 for 30 minutes & turn off oven & let sit for an hour. Cut with pizza cutter into small brownies.

Penny's Peanut Butter Cookies
some peanut butter (maybe a cup)...I use all natural and nuke it for 30 seconds to make it soft
some honey (just squeeze some in...a couple tablespoons)
couple scoops fat free plain yogurt or cottage cheese
2 eggs
enough rolled oats or buckwheat flour to make it stick together

Smoosh it all together in a bowl and press into well greased small cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or so.

I make "Frosty Paws" with plain yogurt and peanut butter.  Appx 1/2 cup PB and 1 1/2 cup plain (or natural vanilla) yogurt...mix well & freeze in 1/2 cup disposable containers.  Yummo!

I'll def try to make the peanut butter cookies when i have a chance. They all sound soo yummy, thanks for posting the recipes
<3 Cheech aka bud~5 year old male, fawn w/ mask, natural floppy ears + docked tail <3

bombersmama

• Vet Checked
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 12:54:50 AM »
I think I am repeating myself alot in posts lol!! I am becoming very forgetful these days.... :dizzy2:
~*Shana*~

Proud Mama to:
Fur Kid:  Bomber, 1-10-2005
Skin Kid:  Landon John, 2-1-2009