Author Topic: Weight....trying to gain some.  (Read 1618 times)

Kozijn Family

• Fully Weaned
Weight....trying to gain some.
« on: April 23, 2007, 01:54:06 PM »
I am wondering about a decent sport/active dog food.  While Dixi is not skinny, she could use 3-5 lbs more.  In order to keep her at her current weight she is on 4-5 cups of Acana or Wellness.  Obviously I would like to adjust that and maybe get her a few pounds of weight.

She has excellent muscle tone and loads of energy, but we are very active and live on acreage.  It is not unsual for her to be outside playing 6+ hours a day with me, especially with the nicer weather now.  I don't work so she has minimal crate time, and usually only crashes at 8pm-ish.  Anyhow, ideas would be great.  She also gets a can every Saturday and some bison drippings (2 tbsp)each Sunday.
Skye, mom to Dixi, and now Hunter too.
other furry kids and
3 skin babies

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Weight....trying to gain some.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 04:59:07 PM »
How many ribs are showing on Dixi?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Pearlywhirly

• Just Whelped
  • Do they make 'em any cuter??
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 06:31:39 PM »
If you could give us some more info like height and current weight that would help. Pearl was getting thin too (46#) so I put her on Timberwolf Organics Lamb, Barley and Apples. The protein is 28% and the fat is 18%. She eats three cups and gets half a can of Merrick in the evening. She hovers around 50-51# now. Timberwolf also has a variety called Wild & Natural that has 36% protein and 18% fat and it's also grain free. However, if your pup is younger than say 18 months I would not feed a high protein food.
Erika~~
Mom to:
Pearl, 2, Floppy, Docked, Deaf

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 10:39:04 AM »
Could we see a profile and overhead view so we can see how she looks?
Amber

Kozijn Family

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 01:04:56 PM »
Alrighty here she is, looking really skinny in these pics actually.  And boy was she not impressed with having to pose.  Not sure of her current weight  and I don't own a scale.  She measures 23 inches at the shoulder. 

She has loads of energy, doesn't drink abnormally, and has good stool.

other furry kids and
3 skin babies

Kozijn Family

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 01:08:20 PM »
I am going to try and get another pic of her profile, because I think that one makes her look worse than she is. But at least you can get an idea, I think she thought she was in trouble when I made her pose and sucked herself in.
other furry kids and
3 skin babies

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 01:15:24 PM »
Actually that shows me what I need to see - that she's at a great weight for a boxer!  And I should hope so, 4-5 cups of good food is alot for a boxer, even an active one! 

Boxers are a lean breed and a little lean is *always* healthier than a little heavy.  Seeing the last couple ribs is good.   It's when the hip bones show that you actually want to worry.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Kozijn Family

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 01:27:24 PM »
Great!  Thank you, she is our first boxer and I know they are a lean breed, she just felt a little too lean.  I know 4-5 cups is a lot, but that is what it takes to keep her at this weight.  Different food?

My husband actually commented the other night how she didn't look scrawny anymore and was looking good.  I still thought an opion or two from some more seasoned boxer owners wouldn't hurt.
other furry kids and
3 skin babies

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 01:41:49 PM »
Well the food you are feeding is good, I suspect that it's just the super activity level you describe that keeps the requirements so high.   Xena only needs 2 cups a day but the majority of the time she's a couch potato  ;D
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Pearlywhirly

• Just Whelped
  • Do they make 'em any cuter??
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 07:20:15 PM »
Don't worry, she looks good! I love to see a nice, lean, in-shape boxer. Pearl is lean like that and some people say she's skinny but I think they are used to looking at a fat dog. Over 40% of the dogs in America are overweight and that's unfortunately becoming the norm. I groom for a living and if I see one more dog that would make a better coffee table I think I'm gonna scream!! She's got a great Mom to be concerned about her like you are but I think she's fine.
Erika~~
Mom to:
Pearl, 2, Floppy, Docked, Deaf

Kozijn Family

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 09:19:46 PM »
Thanks everyone!  And as for over weight doggies......no kidding, it has become an epidemic!! :eek:

I am constantly telling people their pooches need to loose weight.  I know a rotti that has hip displasia and is F.A.T, I keep after the owner though and I see she is finally starting to loose some of those pounds :2thumbsup:.

Thanks again everyone!
other furry kids and
3 skin babies

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 09:34:34 AM »
I think she looks fabulous. ;D
Amber

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 11:08:48 AM »
if I see one more dog that would make a better coffee table I think I'm gonna scream!!

Amen to that!  Aaron's folks have a gi-normously overweight lab, he looks like he gained 10 more pounds in the last couple months and could easily be a table for 2!  :embarassed:  (When asked, they say oh no, he hasn't gained any weight...)

It's great to be concerned about your dogs weight, but luckily in Dixi's case, it looks like there is no need  :thumbsup:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Bers

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 09:59:47 PM »
By the way, when I try to get Sammie or Lucy to pose like that for profile and overhead views they also act like I'm going to abuse them or do something terrible. ::)
Amber

Kozijn Family

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 10:16:44 PM »
I know, my terrier is the same. ::)  I swear Dixi thought she was a goner for sure :laugh4:.
other furry kids and
3 skin babies