Author Topic: Commands  (Read 709 times)

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Commands
« on: July 15, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
What is the difference between the 'stay' command and the 'wait' command................

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
Re: Commands
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 08:36:18 AM »
For me...stay means I am moving away from them and dont want them following.  Wait is to prevent door darting (and making sure the squirrels have a good enough lead) or for them to be polite when feeding them
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 08:40:43 AM »
Stay means stay where I put you and hold a specific position (such as a sit).  Wait means "don't move forward."  I also use wait for food, it is still basically "don't move forward" but the forward movement is specific to their head which wants to move toward the treat.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 08:58:38 AM »
Ditto...

Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 09:04:46 AM »
Am i right in thinking that when you want to release them from a 'STAY' command you have to go to your dog to do this but with the 'WAIT' command you can call your dog to you to release them?

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 09:18:42 AM »
Usually when I release from a stay they are free to do whatever or to come to me. 

With Wait I am usually right near them and the release lets them go out the door or eat their food
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 09:19:35 AM »
Stay means stay where I put you and hold a specific position (such as a sit).  Wait means "don't move forward."  I also use wait for food, it is still basically "don't move forward" but the forward movement is specific to their head which wants to move toward the treat.

Same here.

Am i right in thinking that when you want to release them from a 'STAY' command you have to go to your dog to do this but with the 'WAIT' command you can call your dog to you to release them?

I'm not sure what the "right" answer is here, but I don't necessarily go to my dog to release them from a stay.  I can call mine to me from a stay.....to me, "stay" means "stay in that position until I tell you otherwise."  Which means, if I call them, it's okay to break it.

I also have a release word that I use to let them know that we are done with whatever exercise we are doing.  I use "okay!"
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 01:45:54 PM »

This is what some obedience trainers recommend, and you go and release them with a tap to the chest or something like that. They would use the wait before calling your dog to come to you on a recall.

However, it is really up to you to come up with what works for your dogs.

Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 02:22:29 PM »

This is what some obedience trainers recommend, and you go and release them with a tap to the chest or something like that. They would use the wait before calling your dog to come to you on a recall.

However, it is really up to you to come up with what works for your dogs.

Yeah this is what our trainer told us lastnight. The thing is JJ knows stay means do not move until i say you can and i dont always go up to him to release him either. I also use wait for things like wait until i say you can go through the door, wiat until i say you can eat your food.

I use 'Go on then' as a release but i have noticed that they charge forward when ever i say go on then....For example when crossing the road i make them sit and wait then when im ready to cross i say go on then and they pull forward, i think this is because when i take them in the park to run off leash, i make them sit and wait while i take their leads off then when i say go on then they get to run.

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 03:09:07 PM »
Stay for me is normally when they are in a "down/stay" or a "sit/stay".   I walk away from the dog while they are in the command asked.       Wait is a command I give when we are in movement, but taking a break (like at the end of a contact).   

I use release word "Ok" for both my wait and my stay.   But wait is normally when we are in the middle of movement and I want the dog to "pause" at a certain point.   
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 07:22:06 PM »
Linz - I would definitely pick a different word/phrase for your release than what you use for "go wild at the park" - it sounds like you've trained them (though probably not intentionally) to associate "go on then" with doing whatever they please and that isn't *exactly* what you are after when you release them in a class environment.

A lot of people use OK, even though most of us admit it isn't the best word choice, lol.  I use it like "Ok, now we go on to the next thing" - it releases them from their position but not necessarily from our work together.  You could use "go on then" to signal the end of a training session in the cases when disconnecting and/or going nutty is completely acceptable.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12