Author Topic: Classes start  (Read 618 times)

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Classes start
« on: July 07, 2009, 11:39:52 AM »
I start the obedience classes tonight, its my first time so i have to go without JJ to see what takes place,fill out forms and a general chat really - the classes start properly next Tuesday - I really hope he benefits from these classes, im sure he will.

Got him in at the vets too 2moro for his vaccines and a general check up, get those claws clipped finally!

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Classes start
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 11:43:43 AM »
I'm sure he will do great! Keep us posted on how he is doing!  :2thumbsup:
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 03:42:26 PM »
Have fun!
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:46:29 AM »
So i set off for the classes with the good old sat nav, who i am no longer friends with, honestly it took me forever to find the place, it took me up a dead end  and was totally off track.........anyway i found the place in the end and luckily the class was running late anyway so i didnt miss anything.
I didnt take JJ because it was just to meet the trainers, see them in real classes and have demonstartions about health and safety.

It was really good, i am really nervous tho because the trainer kept saying that she is very strict about the fact that you have to keep your dog on your left side at all times and keep it under control around other dogs, JJ is pretty good but he does tend to pull me towards other dogs  :confused:

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 10:08:36 AM »
It was really good, i am really nervous tho because the trainer kept saying that she is very strict about the fact that you have to keep your dog on your left side at all times and keep it under control around other dogs, JJ is pretty good but he does tend to pull me towards other dogs  :confused:

I'm sure you'll be fine.  You'll just have to work extra hard to keep his attention on you instead of on the other dogs.  You have to be more exciting than whatever it is he's going after.  I have to do this with Griff.....if it were up to him, class would be play time with all of the other dogs.   ::) (Or at least that's how it was for our first class...maybe he'll focus better after he's a little more used to the class environment again.)  Basically, when we are in line waiting our turn to do whatever obstacle it is....I am playing with him, getting him pumped up, making him do different commands, etc.

*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 10:26:01 AM »
That's great, Linz! I ditto what Brandy says. I'm sure you'll do just fine, and so will JJ. Keeping them focussed is the key and even with Grady, he gets a lil ADD (especially towards the end of class) and wants to just play. I have to work a lil harder at the end of class, constantly feeding him treats to keep his eye on me, doing tricks with him, playing rough and tough with him, etc.....I think he gets bored with the downtime and that's when his mind really starts to wonder. But once he's working on doing something...he's full focus.

Can't wait to hear how class goes! I love it and am sure you and JJ will too.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12