Author Topic: I need help!  (Read 1020 times)

laurenb

• Fully Weaned
  • Hero 1/30/09
I need help!
« on: July 07, 2009, 04:55:49 PM »
We have a big 'front' room that still has nothing in it so I let Hero run around and play in there so that he does not run over the kids. Well, the last two days I have walked into the room and found poo on the floor in the corner. Its like he just stops mid-play and goes over and poos and then goes back to playing. He had accidents in this room when we first got him, but he has not for awhile. I just dont know what to do....

I had talked to the lady that is going to do his training about him having accidents, and she said to praise him when I saw him waiting at the door until I could get there. This was suppose to help him learn to wait. But with this recent problem he is not even going to the door.  :wall:

Help me!! What can I do? Im thinkin I may need to start from scratch with the potty training, I just dont know.
Lauren
    &
 Hero

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
Re: I need help!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 04:58:50 PM »
I would take a step back in the training. Start to keep him with you and not let him out of your sight so that you can see his cues. Maybe bell training would help? :shrug:

Also clean any area that he 'goes' in with nature's miracle to deter him from feeling like it's okay to go there since it already smells. To them it does smell even if you can't smell it.

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 05:45:47 PM »
Honestly, at his age, he shouldn't be getting a lot of time alone/unsupervised.  Even if he is/was starting to be more reliable about not going in the house....they aren't truly reliable until they've gone several months without going in the house.

I agree that you'll need to go back to square one....keep him in your sight (or crated if that's not possible), take him out often, and clean up any messes with NM.
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

laurenb

• Fully Weaned
  • Hero 1/30/09
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 07:06:57 PM »
He is always within sight, that room is open so I can see him. Its just when I turn around, or like today, Im cleaning up another mess, he goes. I know that he knows hes wrong by the way he acts. As soon as I see it he goes and lays down. I dont even have to say anything.....

I know he is still so young, he was doing so good that I let up on him I guess. I was just thinking last night, he wont even be six months until the end of this month....
Lauren
    &
 Hero

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 08:23:03 PM »
Ditto the others...I think you are giving a teenager WAY too much freedom...
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 10:05:27 PM »
I know he is still so young, he was doing so good that I let up on him I guess. I was just thinking last night, he wont even be six months until the end of this month....

I think that happens a lot.....they are doing well with XX level of supervision, so you think they get it and you let up, but they aren't quite ready for the freedom and you don't know it until they start having accidents again.  I did that with Bella...and I know lots of other people have been there.  He'll get it eventually!!  :thumbsup:
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

kathye

• Weanling
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 09:32:52 AM »
I can not say enough about bell training. It's been a life saver. I love the fact that they can tell you they have to go out - when your back is turned and you can't see them give the signals. Give it a try.
Owned by Baron, Quenna & Kiwi

laurenb

• Fully Weaned
  • Hero 1/30/09
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 10:58:34 AM »
I thought about doing that when we got him, but I have a 2 year old and a 10 month old so I think the bell would be more of a toy for them  :inquisitive:
Lauren
    &
 Hero