Author Topic: "Sizing Up The Competition"  (Read 1358 times)

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
"Sizing Up The Competition"
« on: July 05, 2009, 12:39:05 PM »
I had a question for those that compete in Agility. We went to a competition yesterday, and of course now I'm watching things a lil differently than I did at previous shows. But one thing that crossed my mind was the fact that there was only 1 boxer (a beautiful white boy, reminded me so much of Kerri's Jack) among SOOOO many border collies, aussies and shelties. (Of course, I noticed this before and there wasn't any boxer at the last show, but thinking a lil differently than before) Watching the BC,  Aussies and shelties run, then watching the one boxer run....it just seemed so unfair. LOL The BC's are obviously fast as lightening. There was even a beagle that was the fastest beagle I'd ever seen, but obviously not in the same height class as the boxer, BC's and aussies.

My question is this......for the boxers that compete, do you find it difficult to place or title your dog when you are competing against the super fast BC's and the agile Aussies? The boxer that ran didn't have near the speed these other dogs did and even tho he didn't quite run the course the right way (or quite as "pretty")....even if he had, his time woulda been WAY off from the other dogs. Even the dobies seemed to have a better chance at beating the BC's and aussies, but weren't nearly as fast in time.

I know we have some amazing titles on some of the boxers here....was it difficult to get them there? Were there alot of "lightening fast" breeds competing as well? How hard is it to run up against the BC's especially? They just seem to overwhelm the competition, it's gotta be so difficult? Maybe that's why you don't see that many boxers out there? I was so proud of the big white boy, but disappointed that he had like an extra 10 - 15 seconds on the other dogs and even if he ran the course straight....he still wouldn't have had a chance to place, with that many BC's and aussies takin over.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 12:41:04 PM by Rubidawg »
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: "Sizing Up The Competition"
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 10:55:09 PM »
AJ (a Josie pup) is LIGHTNING.  She has been placing in trials and finishing courses 20-27 seconds under course time.  I don't know how far under course times BCs generally get, but I'm guessing AJ rivals them.

I would guess that it also varies by build -   Dash is quick, but I'm guessing his long body will slow him down because he'll have more to turn.  Of course, if we ever get to compete, he might run in a taller height class than BCs since he's so tall (26").
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:03:32 AM »
Josie doesn't place very often, and...she's 7 so she moves at a nice consistent speed, but she's not the out of control speed demon she used to be, but up until this year, many of her times would have put her in the ribbons if I'd jumped her at 24, and not 20.

It's somewhat of a regional issue - I noticed at ABC on all breed day, the 8-16 inch class was as large as the 20 inch class here - in Josie's class there are usually 80-120 dogs running in Ex B 20" so I'm happy with how SHE does.  If I wanted more from her in agility, I  would not have also cross-trained her to a UDT, and she is still working on her TDX, even though she is halfway to her MACH.  We're NOT out there doing agility every single weekend, so I can't really expect to consistently place with people who are.

Anje - I'll put her up against anything in 24.  She's young, green, she takes down bars and runs very recklessly and loose right now, but she can kick down 6 course yards per second and if I can smooth out MY handling, she can even find her poles and stops arguing with me on course.  There are of course a few BC's in that class and some very fast Dobes, but I have absolutely no complaints about her speed.

As handlers, we tend to slow our Boxers down - putting WAY to much Obedience on them as a way of dealing with "zoomies" instead of (IMO) having control of a zooming dog.

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 08:55:37 AM »
also, to echo what others have said... BC's run at a lower jump height, they are not as tall as most boxers. The few BC's I have been around at classes and trials may be fast but are a bit wreckless and get NQ's because they are all over.

We normally run against goldens, standard poodles, GSD and some labs. None of those are overly fast. Sophia is fast as far as all out running but I keep her contained and under control which prob slows her down but makes her pretty accurate.
Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 09:10:47 AM »
We have our fair share of BC in our height class but if they are good, then move out of novice really quick giving those a chance when they move up! ha ha ha
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 09:27:06 AM »
My experience from when I was in novice with Star - was that IF she Q'd we normally placed - simply because the faster dogs had messed up and did not qualify.
However, that being said - Trigger is very fast, and if I don't screw up and slow him down I think that he will be very competitive. In class right now I would say that he is one of the faster dogs.

Obviously there are wayyyyyy more BC's and shelties and doing agility, but there are some really good boxers too, just not as many.

But remember, most often in agility you are competing against yourself. You need 3 qualifying runs to get a title - placements don't matter.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 09:45:39 AM »
You need 3 qualifying runs to get a title - placements don't matter.

Exactly Kerry, I'd take a clean run (Q) for 4th any day than a placement.
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 09:49:22 AM »
Very interesting! Thanks everyone! I would also rather have a clean run vs a sloppy, and fast run. Last night at class, our trainer talked a lil bit about how I am slowing him down (didn't realize I'm doing that). He was going to the table and I just wouldn't let him go ahead of me and drive to it on his own. I kept meeting him at the table, but once she pointed it out and I realized my mistake, I let him go ahead and he went super fast onto it. Also worked on letting him drive ahead over the jumps too. But of course, I want it to be clean, but don't want to hold him back too much and have him get used to it. So, I guess it's finding that balance, which we obviously have ALOT to work on. But I was definitely curious how you all felt with the BC's. The ones I saw were in various height classes, and were in the same group as the boxer - which made me wonder.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 09:53:19 AM »
Also wanted to ask another question, and maybe it should be it's own thread? But my trainer mentioned that when we were doing the tables, teaching them the autmotic down, and with Grady's speed and build how we want to focus on getting him down vs just standing on the table. But she mentioned that b/c of his body type and the fact that he has no nails, the down will help to keep him from going over the table. How do the ones with short nails deal with traction and grip on the table, frames, etc? I obviously prefer to keep his nails short...but was wondering if that's been a problem for anyone else? Do you fing it's better to keep em longer for the gripping purpose?
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 10:01:29 AM »
From what I've always heard, they use their pads to grip (I know Jill has mentioned it when talking about the value of keeping a dog's nails short).....my agility instructor even mentioned it in the "intro" for Griff's class on Monday (I missed the first class w/ Bella, so I didn't hear this the first time around).  She said it's better to keep the nails well groomed because they use their pads to grip the contacts.

Who knows that the real "right" answer is.  I honestly think it makes more sense that they'd use their pads more to grip on a hard surface.....since they can't really "dig in" with their nails on a hard surface like wood.  BUT, that's just me. 
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 10:11:38 AM »
Yeh, and I would think that with longer nails, you run the risk of the dog ripping it's nails. Seems to make more sense to use their pads, but I wonder if they could still slip with short nails and soft pads. Either way, like you said....who knows the real answer. I definitely prefer the manicured look, especially for joint issue. No more Freddy Krueger dogs! LOL
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02