Author Topic: Been having some issues with Griff. (VERY long) - Update.  (Read 2608 times)

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Been having some issues with Griff. (VERY long) - Update.
« on: June 17, 2009, 10:49:22 AM »
I'll start off by saying that Griff has never been as reliably house-trained as Bella was at his same age.  I feel like he's never learned to HOLD his pee.  When he was a puppy, I just let him out whenever he acted like he needed to go (and I trained him early-on to sit by the door when he needed to go out).  It seemed like it was every 20-30 minutes when he was young - but we avoided accidents that way. 

He was TERRIBLE to crate train, and I really don't think he ever truly got it.  He doesn't get crated very often due to me working from home, but he still pees in his crate sometimes (even though he hasn't had soft/absorbant bedding in there since he was a little puppy - he either had the bare crate tray or now he's got one of the cusioned pads I bought at ABC), especially if he's in there longer than 2-3 hours (the longest he's probably ever been in there was 6, and that is VERY rare).  Also - he has pretty bad separation anxiety when he's crated - if he's not crated WITH Bella, he freaks out, and if he's completely by himself (Bella's not crated with or beside him), he has gotten so bad that he's made himself bleed.  How the hell do you fix that?  I started crating him with Bella to calm him down in the first place (to let his histiocytoma heal a few months ago), but now it's just seems like it's made him worse.

When we lived in the apartment, he NEVER had poop accidents (aside from maybe the 2-3 he had during housetraining as a puppy).  He would have the occasional pee accident, but I take the blame for every single one of those, because it was always when I was too busy or something and ignored his signals that he had to go.  BUT - I still feel like he ought to be able to hold his pee a little longer...like with Bella, she will hold her pee when she has to go but can't (due to me not letting her out or her being crated), but with Griff, it's like if he has to pee - he pees (whether he can alert me to let him out or not, whether he's in his crate or not).

Now that we moved into the house, the accidents are happening a lot.  He's even lifted his leg a couple times  :brood:, and even pooped once.   :eek:  I know this is our fault - he doesn't know how to tell us he has to go.  He goes to the door that we go out of, but since we spend a lot of time in different rooms, he doesn't know how to tell us.  And it's not like we spend a lot of time not watching him - he peed right by the door this morning as I was walking over to let him out (we'd come straight downstairs from the bedroom, I was just a few steps behind him).  This was the first time I had caught him (to be able to correct him). 
Here is my plan to try to fix some of these problems:

- Restrict his access even further (we always try to keep him in the same room with us, but we are going to be more strict about it and start baby gating him more).

- Take him out more often.  At this point he's going out at least 3-4 times during my work day, but I'm going to try to increase it. 

- Bell train him.  It's not that I've ever been against bell-training, it's just that due to the way my previous living arrangements were set up, it just wasn't necessary because the doors we went out to potty were right in the middle of everything.  So now that there's a higher chance that I could be in a different room, we're gonna do the bell thing.  I am thinking this will help a lot.

Here are the ones I need a little more help with:

- How the heck do you teach a dog to hold his pee when he will just pee anywhere and any time (in the house, in the crate, etc).  I know that he KNOWS he's supposed to pee outside - but it's like he doesn't know he's supposed to hold it (or physically can't hold it?) if he can't go outside *right this second*.

- How do I fix his crate separation anxiety?  The easy answer would be to leave him out - but with all of the peeing, he can't be trusted to have free roam anywhere!

I didn't realize how bad these separation anxiety was until we moved here and had more room to set up both crates and started crating them separately again. The accidents in the old place were annoying, but not that frequent.  Here, it's like his issues have just gotten SO much worse.  I know it's going to take some adjustment in the new house to get the potty thing down....I'm just not sure what all I should be doing (in addition to what I'd listed above) to help make that happen.  And I'm just at a loss about the SA.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:13:50 PM by blynn03 »
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
Re: Been having some issues with Griff. (VERY long)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 10:54:44 AM »
Wow...frustrating.  I think part of the accidents is the new house.  But I would set up a bell and bell train him so that you can hear him if he goes to the door and you're in another room. 

As for his crate/SA issue.  The DAP diffuser I got for Beas/thudnerstorms is supposed to help with that SA too.  Perhaps try that and also try leaving on the TV/radio for him?
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:56:06 AM »
I am sorry you are having these problems.  Do you think a lot of it could be the anxiety of the new house?  I heard it can take about a month for them to get aclimated to a new environment.  I don't have a whole lot to offer other than the bell training and taking him out more often and keeping :fingerscrossed: that it is just getting used to the new house and he will settle down soon.
Joyce

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 11:02:46 AM »
I REALLY hope it is due to just not being settled in the house yet!  It's only been about 2.5 weeks since we moved in.  Maybe I'm overreacting...probably due to the amount of pee I've been having to clean up lately!   :dizzy2:

I will look into the DAP diffuser.
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 11:08:06 AM »
good luck.  Please keep us updated
Mom to:

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 11:30:47 AM »
I'll be interested to hear about any ideas on the crate issue too!  Rudy has similiar issues. 
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 11:51:43 AM »
Willie has crate issues too. As far as the DAP diffuser, it did NOT work for Silly Willie...
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 11:53:55 AM »
Willie has crate issues too. As far as the DAP diffuser, it did NOT work for Silly Willie...

I have it and started using it on Friday...but I cant say if it works...since we havent had any thunderstorms since then.  I hope it works for you Brandy
Mom to:

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:01:14 PM »

Yeah, I need to try a few things before I will buy a DAP diffuser.  I just need to go back and try to reinforce that the crate is a positive place before I take any more drastic measures.

The funny thing is, he will go in and lay down in the crates while I'm working.  He'll sleep in those things for hours.  But if I shut the door and leave him is when he freaks out in there.   ::)
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 12:11:26 PM »
give him time to settle in at the new house. samson was really off for about a month when i moved. he would NOT go in his kennel, and he would whine for days when he was in there. i think the bell training is a good idea. would it be possible to keep crating them together?
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 12:22:47 PM »
give him time to settle in at the new house. samson was really off for about a month when i moved. he would NOT go in his kennel, and he would whine for days when he was in there. i think the bell training is a good idea. would it be possible to keep crating them together?

Yeah, I think he just needs some time and for me to go back to basics with him.  I can do that.

I am not sure how I feel about continuing crating them together - I hadn't meant for it to be a permanent thing.  I will probably keep doing it for a little while just because you guys brought up a good point that they are still settling in to the new place.  But there are a couple reasons why I don't really want to continue long-term:

- I think he needs to learn to be okay on his own.  What would happen to him if something suddenly happened to Bella?  Also, with both of them in agility he might need to stay in a crate if both classes are on the same night, or if they are both trialing and he needs to stay there between runs or while I'm running Bella.

- I feel like I'm punishing Bella because Griff has issues.  Honestly, I really believe I could giver her full roam of the whole house while I was gone (provided it was sufficiently puppy proofed - basically no newspaper, toilet paper or toilet paper/paper towel rolls in reach) and she would cause absolutely no problems.  She has been SUCH a good girl lately in nearly every aspect....so I really hate to have to make her continue staying in a crate on account of Griff.
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 12:26:44 PM »
poor griffen. have you tried to make it dark in there? i had to cover sams kennel till he was 8mo old(then he started pulling the blanket inside ::) ) he also put one of my dirty pj shirts in there when im at work...sometimes i come home to find him cuddling with it.
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

blynn03

• Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 12:32:51 PM »
poor griffen. have you tried to make it dark in there? i had to cover sams kennel till he was 8mo old(then he started pulling the blanket inside ::) ) he also put one of my dirty pj shirts in there when im at work...sometimes i come home to find him cuddling with it.

Usually when I crate him, it's in the evening, and the window in the room is on the east side of the house, so it's pretty dark in here.  I can't cover his crate or put anything in it because he shreds and EATS bedding.  That's one of the reasons he doesn't have any bedding (the other one being that it soaks up pee and makes it easier to pee in the crate without having to lay in it).  He's a real PITA.   :smash:
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 12:43:19 PM »
Wow I was not expecting this..I have no suggestions but just to try to keep him close to you when you can not watch him...Does he have a bladder infection maybe...Maybe ask the vet what he thinks...Wonder if the new house is making him nervous..Maybe new scents in the new house...Not sure but something is not right...
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 01:29:01 PM »
I think the bell will help a lot. Otis never knew how to let us know either, since he doesn't bark to go out. Hopefully fencing your yard eventually will help as well as he will spend more time outside.

Sorry Brandy! Good luck.
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)