Author Topic: We start beginner agility next week, but..  (Read 721 times)

AnnF

• Fully Weaned
We start beginner agility next week, but..
« on: June 13, 2009, 11:12:20 PM »
We've been letting Gus loose in a fenced in children's play area with balance beams and plastic tunnels just for fun.  I'm wondering if this will mess up the formal agility instructions to come. 

He's been taking the jumps, and doing the plastic tunnels on his own without instruction.  We walk in, take off his leash, and it's like somebody has pushed some turbo button.  He loves it, and is trying like heck to even leap up on the big slides.  NOW it dawned on me that this may backfire because he's going to have to follow my directions in a class.  I wanted to get him thinking this is "fun" stuff, but will it just get him into overdrive without the formal training.

Ann WI
Gus - 10-1/2 months.  Pictures are coming...

What would you do if I sang out of tune?
Gustav (Gus) 8/1/08
Ann

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: We start beginner agility next week, but..
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 11:25:46 PM »
Ann - That's a tough one, although I know others have mentioned having tunnel-happy dogs has bit them in the butt. (I've lucked out and somehow Dash is not tunnel happy)

You may have already seen this, but the second video on this page is one of Renee's pups, AJ and her love of tunnels:
http://web.mac.com/elonerga/iWeb/Site/AJ%20Videos%20Page.html

Cute when they do it in play, not so cute when you are trying to run a course.  ;)
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

AnnF

• Fully Weaned
Re: We start beginner agility next week, but..
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 11:44:09 PM »
I couldn't get the AJ video, but it sounds like my gut instincts may be right here from your comment.

Renee, if you see this you may recall who was the first person to send wild child through his first tunnel as a pup. :eek:  That is too funny,

Ann & Gus
What would you do if I sang out of tune?
Gustav (Gus) 8/1/08
Ann