Author Topic: Crate issues  (Read 2290 times)

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Crate issues
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 04:54:22 PM »
Otis' crate was always in our room and he never sleeps in the bed with us. He will jump up if invited but only likes to actually sleep on his bed on the floor. When he was a puppy it was much better having him in the room with us, he doesn't like to be by himself.
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

Melon_Lord

• Just Whelped
  • Ain't it sweet
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 09:52:19 PM »
Your pup is still on the training method. it takes some months for him to get over his crate training. My boxer was like that before.  My advice is: don't crate him when you can supervise him. Boxers love attention. When it's tme to sleep and he cries in this crate, go to some place in your house where he can't see you and eventually, he'll settle down. Our boxer started out like that before but got over it especially when we brought home a Shih Tzu who's only 2 months younger than him. Now we don't crate him at night, just when nobody's home as he really chews on everything. The time when we tried to uncrate him while leaving the house, he chewed on the converter box remote. But it's been easier to let him in the crate now. Unlike before where we have to force him to go to his crate when we leave the house.

I think you need more patience and should be consistent.

Capones Momma

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 11:36:17 AM »
Well, things with the crate have not changed much since last week.  As I mentioned in my first post, he has been great in his crate at night when I sleep but last night he was not good at all.  He barked consistently for over an hour, until my husband when downstairs to try and soothe him by laying outside the crate on our kitchen floor, but Capone continued to bark like mad.  So my hubby took Capone out of the crate and cuddled with him on the living room floor and he feel right asleep.  I am worried now that he is regressing and instead of being good in there at night now he is going to start crying. 
He still hates it during the day when my hubby tries to sleep (half the week anyways because of his schedule).  The vet told me to put him in there when we are home and in the room with him - while I am cooking for example - so he doesn't think we are leaving him every time he gets put in there.  That doesn't work either - Capone continues to bark and yelp even though he can see me.  I am not sure what the issue is.  Until last night, we have been consistent to let him cry in there until he stops, but it is not getting any better.  I guess its getting worse because now he is crying at night when before he was fine in there.  I also tried to give him special treats while he is in there but all he does is cry and wants nothing to do with the treats.  The treat is a kong filled w/ PB and plain yogurt.  If that can't make him happy I don't know what will.  I also tried leaving the TV on - he didn't like that either.  I am afraid that he is going to have a bad case of separation anxiety.  And it is so hard to leave him there when he will bark and cry for hours when we are trying to sleep.  Not good for me and hubby, Capone, or our cats.  I can only imagine how annoyed the cats are, poor things.
Jackie
Mom to Boxer Capone 3/21/09 and two Bengal kitties, Callia & Chance 7/22/05

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 11:35:52 AM »
I wish I had some answers for you.  Rudy has NEVER learned to tolerate being in his crate.  He gets to the point I'm afraid he'll break a tooth trying to bend the crate enought to escape!  I don't know if you guys remember the pics I took of how badly he bent his crate when he was younger?   :wreck:
I put him in the larger crate we got Romy just the other day when the Direct TV guy was here.  He was fine for the first few minutes and then started getting anxious and trying to chew on the bars.  He even had a high value chew in there that he paid no attention to. 
My two are pretty reliable when we leave them loose in the house.  ONCE in a great while we'll come home and find a newspaper or magazine chewed up or the bill of a cap that Dave has left laying around so I'm VERY thankful for that!  But there are times when I really would like to fix Rudy's crate issues too.
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 11:40:32 AM »
Beas didnt like sleeping in the crate at night (I went through nearly 6 months of H#$L trying to get him to sleep in it) and finally we let him out at night (and let him sleep in bed with us) and he stopped.  He didn't really like being crated while at work but was ok.  At about 2-2.5 years old we transitioned him to half day in crate, half day in bedroom.  At 3.5 he got access to the entire downstairs and is great.
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 11:56:28 AM »
I had my crate in the bedroom...but then I did allow them in bed too. I am weak :yes:
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 01:10:23 PM »
I had my crate in the bedroom...but then I did allow them in bed too. I am weak :yes:

I think quite a few of us have this weekness
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

linz and ellie

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 06:51:44 AM »
Mine werent crated at night time either, They have their own sofa in one of my spare rooms and they slept on that, worked much better for everyone.

DingBat

• Weanling
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 10:57:43 AM »
What's your husband doing with him before he goes back into the crate?  Tiring out a puppy before they're put into the kennel really helps, and it doesn't take much time or effort to tire out a young pup.  Half hour in the back yard working on the clicker training or running around should do the trick!

Good luck!