Author Topic: giving this a try(for barking dogs)  (Read 527 times)

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
giving this a try(for barking dogs)
« on: May 26, 2009, 04:01:29 PM »
i was watching IMOTD and victoria was working with a dog who would bark non stop when people were at the door or came inside. when someone knocked the dog would bark at victoria had a horn to distract them, she would reward them when they were quiet. then she used a can of keyboard cleaner spray. so i picked up some spray to try on the roomies dog(and samson even tho hes not a barker)

i was telling my roomie about this and she just rolled her eyes. its REALLY getting on my nerves. so IM going to take matters into my own hands and if she doesnt like it, kick me out. i need my sleep and sanity :smash:

im going home on my lunch right now so im going to try it. hope it helps atleast a little bit.
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
Re: giving this a try(for barking dogs)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 04:04:15 PM »
I use a can with pennies in it for Zeus.  I wouldn't use the spray because it's aerosol and God forbid you get it in their eyes or something.  The technique is called noise aversion.  It works well with consistency and being calm.  Make sure you have someone on the other side of the door who is willing to keep going in and out and knocking about a billion times.   ;)
Vicky

blynn03

• Most Helpful Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 04:13:46 PM »
Is she going to get pissed at you for shooting an aerosol can near her dog's face?  I realize her dog's barking is a problem, but I don't know if it's quite fair for you to be doing stuff like that to her dog when you don't allow her to discipline your dog the way she wants to.  I think it SUCKS that she won't do anything for her own dog.   :thumbsdown:

Your entire situation is tooooo complicated for me!  :dizzy2:
*Brandy*

Griff & Bella

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 04:39:45 PM »
I think that I would start looking for a place of my own (as in...no roomate). That way you don't have to try to think of ways to correct her dog. Personally even if my dog was not well behaved I would not like to think that you were correcting him/her when I wasn't at home. Also though I would have the decency to keep my dog in a crate as you are expected to do when you aren't at home. It would have to be give & take between both parties. I don't think that is why I would ever want to live with someone that isn't my hubby.

Sorry

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 05:07:56 PM »
the spray goes no where near to dog, just in the air. didnt work anyways.

guess im just gona have to look for another place.
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 06:22:59 PM »
I am doing the whistle...so far Willie, who barks vbut isn't my BIGGEST problem child (that be Phoebe) will return looking for a treat.  Still need to work on it tho.  Oh thinks it is stupid and just yells at them to come, and gosh darn it - they do for him...but won't for me, so the whistle is going to continue.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&