Author Topic: What makes for a strong rear?  (Read 933 times)

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
What makes for a strong rear?
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:37:41 AM »
Okay, now I am not talking about how a rear looks like in a picture........I am talking about movement in the rear, and how we might (if at all) judge it from a picture?

Like a dog which makes a pretty picture when you see it stacked but then it starts moving and it has no real drive coming from the rear? Or it has this strange wobble in the rear? Or it moves wide in the rear? Or (heaven forbid.......because we did see this at ABC), hocks touching in the rear when the dog moved (cringe)?

I know that long hocks tend to cause a bicycling motion in the rear, and a long 2nd thigh might cause lack of drive. BUT what other structural flaws can cause problems with movement in the rear?

FWIW - I don't think Skye has the most spectacular rear, just looking at her stacked, but OMG, just watch her move and she has such power back there.  I actually call her "thunder thighs"  :laugh4: .........and I call her this because she has a lot of muscles in the rear, and it has been like this ever since she was a puppy.......
Compared to Star, who I would say has a spindly rear - she is maybe a tad long in her lower thigh, but none of the muscling.

So what causes one dog to have power in their rear and another not to? And how does one breed for it (or keep it if you have it)?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:41:32 AM by RocketBoxer »
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
Re: What makes for a strong rear?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 05:52:35 PM »
I guess I want to see angles that are not underdone or (worse) over angulated - and I think of the engine of a camaro when I think rear - well musculed 1st and 2nd theigh, not to long or short here or there... 

Like the Boxer as a machine article, or old Wagner book, or even the Canadian judges presentaion on the Canadian Boxer Club website - all articles that have helped me understand strong rears vs weak rears.  I have Judging the Boxer CD from ABC too - that helps, and was thinking about buying the Boxer video from AKC, too.  I recently read a european article on hocks that really clarifies some of the details when the dog is stretched out, and helpe me understand strong hocks, too. 

Like a dog which makes a pretty picture when you see it stacked but then it starts moving and it has no real drive coming from the rear?

I love beautifully stacked dogs, you know I do. But I still have to see them move, and would't be comfortable having much of an opinion if I didn't.  And, I studied movement this year at the show, and I think it's REALLY hard to get a good idea of it with this tiny trip around a tiny ring like at ABC.  ONE more trip around as single dogs would have been really helpful for me, since I don't see it enough.

One neat thing from in WI when I showed to Ms. Ostlund-Holmsten was that you were in a HUGE ring and you went around it several times so she could really get a good look.  I really like Anjas rear, Josie's not so much she needs more angulation, which I did breed for.

I actually call her "thunder thighs"

And this makes me think nice strong rear (coupled and in balance with a good front, yada yada...)  Although I prefer more muscles than less, so...

BurningRiver

• Socialized
  • Copper Hill's Crown Jewel, TT
    • Burning River Boxers
Re: What makes for a strong rear?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 03:20:21 PM »
Correct angulation at the pelvis, hip and stifle, bones that are of the same length, well let down hocks (which are becoming harder and harder to find), nice, strong ligaments that hold the bones firmly in their sockets, well developed musculature (in both the rear and the second thigh) without being overdeveloped, nice, tight feet.
Jessica, Mia and Carter
Burning River Boxers
http://www.burningriverboxers.com

In Heaven: Nedra, CGC 12/24/00-1/29/11