Author Topic: Showing question  (Read 1260 times)

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
Showing question
« on: April 24, 2007, 09:50:08 AM »
As you know we have had Beas in about 4 shows the past year.  When we were in the ring he was in the 12-18 month class.  However, it always seemed to me that the dogs he was in the ring with looked older/bigger (and some were only 2 weeks older than Beas).  My handler said that some of these dogs may be overblown and that the breeder was trying to get them finished before they grew out of the standard.  Shouldnt a judge be able to tell if a puppy will be out of the standard if it already looks like its a two year old (or older dog) in a puppy class?
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Sophia Sadeyes

• Canine Good Citizen
Re: Showing question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 10:18:44 AM »
I would think.
Obviously I'm not ecpert but i would think they would judge the younger age class differntly. But then again if they are just looking at the "breed" standard I'm sure it does not mention anything about a young dog grown'n into itself.

They have puppy catagories so I'm sure those are judged differntly.
hmmm, good question.

Sophia: CGC, OAJ, 05.05.06
Strummer: CGC, OA, AXJ  02.20.08

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 10:30:22 AM »
I am no expert, however I think the breeder really may have no control over how the dog matures.   

If I am not correct there is an age requirement on the puppy class right?   If the dog is 9 months and far more mature than another 9 month old, I just think its not the breeders fault, just the nature of how the dog develops.   

However (IMO) I think that a dog that is say 9 months, and mature may placed better over the other dogs that are still developing.   Each judge has to be familiar with the standard so I am assuming that the dogs lacking some of the maturity will have a longer show career than the ones that develop a lot quickly.     

Do I make any sense?   
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 10:33:48 AM by Hanna Banana »
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 10:43:37 AM »
Yes they have puppy classes Beas was in a ring with a dog that was only 2 weeks older than he was but that dog looked like he was about 2.5-3 years old.  He was MUCH taller and had A LOT of weight on Beas
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 11:07:05 AM »
Dogs do mature at different rates, and some dogs do get 'overdone' by the time they're adults, so the breeders want to get them finished younger.  (That's not a problem I've ever had, of course.... ;) )  Some dogs who mature quickly stay there, however, and look just as good at five as they did at one.

However, the judge's job is to judge the dogs in the ring on that day; they should not be speculating about how the dog will look when it is mature.  Occasionally a judge will ask a dog's age (they're supposed to ask the steward, but they often just ask the handler) - this is generally to see how much weight they need to give to some failing like lack of ribspring or forechest, things that come with maturity.  (Obviously in the puppy classes this isn't so much of a question, but when Hugo was in AmBred Ginger often got asked, "How old is this puppy?"  Nevermind the fact that he was 2 years old at the time. ;) )
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 12:04:10 PM »
Thanks Jennifer.
Mom to: