Author Topic: Am thinking  (Read 921 times)

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
Am thinking
« on: May 18, 2009, 08:34:38 AM »
that Bob should do agility training with Peanut.  That little girl has NO fear.  She has attempted to jump off the back of our couch (that isnt against a wall), attempted to jump from couch to coffee table and has "burrowed" through a tarp that Bob was trying to fold up.  I know we'd have to wait until she's at least a year old but any suggestions on things to do now?

Also...how would we keep her from jumping the fence (its only 4') if we teach her agility?
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
Re: Am thinking
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 08:37:10 AM »
I know we'd have to wait until she's at least a year old but any suggestions on things to do now?

With her age, best thing to do it get your obedience done and some foundation/flat work.  You could get a tunnel for her to run thru.  Maybe make a dogwalk with board that is a couple inches off the ground.  Stuff like that.   
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 08:56:02 AM »
Ditto, I agree with Heather. Start getting a good obedience foundation NOW. Either find a puppy agility class that teaches some basic things whilst they are still young, or just work at home with a few things.

FWIW - I have never found that teaching them agility also correlates to them wanting to jump a fence. Now I have a lot bigger fence, but I use doggie gates in my house that all of them could VERY easily jump, but they have never tried it.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:16:07 AM »
Peanut has had some exposure to agility equipment (of sorts), so she'd probably do well with the real thing as she gets older. :)  The pups had a teeter (a board laid over a PVC pipe of increasing diameter), a dog walk (a board set up across a couple of bricks/pavers, or as a ramp from the ground to a brick/paver), and a tunnel (5-gallon bucket with the bottom cut out).  I did buy one of those cheapie practice agility kits, but the pups were more interested in carrying the pieces around than actually attempting the obstacles. ;)  Still, I did manage to keep that tunnel set up for about half an hour, though the pups were climbing on it as well as through it - but that would maybe have given her some exposure to a chute. ;)

I agree with building the obedience foundation now.  You could do target training, too, which can help when teaching contacts once you get on the real agility equipment.  There are some tips about pre-agility puppy training here:

http://www.dogpatch.org/agility/FAQS/faqgen02.html

Lots of videos on YouTube, too - here's one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKW_JSMeKmA
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

Renee

• Vet Checked
    • vonWaldstadt
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 11:20:43 AM »
I would NOT wait untill she's a year old - and I would spent MOST of her training time now building toy and food drive, doing foundation flatwork, body awareness, get her used to being stretched and manipulated, etc. etc.  targeting and table work... it goes on and on.

And a recall to die for.

No jumping over elbow height (no jumping until 6 months but she can go through uprights with bars on the ground, go easy on contacts and go REAL easy on weave poles - that's about all the restrictions I've ever given a dog - I really do NOT believe in waiting too long  - the sooner they learn to keep the body on a dog walk sized plank the better. 

Anja's sister AJ has some great puppy videos: http://web.mac.com/elonerga/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I think Bob should do this but I still have to convince him. 
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011