Author Topic: Jennifer (Newcastle)  (Read 1106 times)

aquagirl900

• Socialized
Jennifer (Newcastle)
« on: April 23, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
I was just wondering what you look at and how you can tell that a pup has show potential at the ages your babies are.  What specific things on your babies show the show potential as opposed to the pet pups? 

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
Re: Jennifer (Newcastle)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 09:44:53 AM »
Basically at about 8 weeks old, what you see in the puppy is proportionally what you'll see in the adult.  So you look for the same things you'd look for when judging a dog in the ring - squareness, angles, ratios, etc.  Honestly in this litter they're all very similar, so it's a little bit of nit-picking - in my last litters there were obvious picks and obvious pet puppies - this one is much more difficult!  (As much as I hate when people say it, they could all be show prospects with the right owners - Peanut is the only one who really probably is not, and that's mostly because of her tail.)  Gloria is the stand out but she's not light-years better than the others; she's just a little bit better in a few areas, which makes her the best overall - more pleasing head and expression, shorter hocks, better turn of stifle, better shoulder angles, more balanced - but again, it's nit-picking as none of them have 'ugly' heads, long hocks, straight angles, etc. 
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

Nyas dad

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 08:46:39 PM »
I have never bred dogs and the boxer i have is said to be the "runt". What exactly is the runt?
*Phillip*    Nya- March 4, 2008

aquagirl900

• Socialized
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 09:01:17 PM »
As far as I can tell, the "runt" is the smallest pup at birth.  But the runt won't necessarily stay the smallest as they grow.  I've heard of one "runt" who ended up the largest in the litter when full grown.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 09:35:52 PM »
Used to be the "runt" meant the pup was smallest, therefore weakest and less likely to thrive. But that seems to a passe sort of concept these days - look at Jen's Peanut (I guess she's T's Peanut now!) ... smallest of the group but full of sass and thriving just fine!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 09:28:14 AM »
Runt  is usually considered the smallest , but the smallest does not mean they will mature into the smallest . many small puppies end up bigger than their littermates .

A true runt is one who was conceived later then the rest of the litter but born at the same time . Most dogs are bred over a few days so some of the litter may be conceived on breeding 1 , another in the litter may be conceived on breeding 2 or 3 , which can be days later .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .