Author Topic: Beef and chicken diet  (Read 1510 times)

Amantedepugilista

• Just Whelped
    • Flickr photos
Beef and chicken diet
« on: April 17, 2009, 12:29:46 PM »
HEy how are you guys?
IT has been a while. I have emmy back for now and have put her on a certain diet.
IT took a while to research it and compare it to her allergy profile.
This is good, she loves the mix, If anyone else has problems with sever allergies to potatoes and what not you should give this a try

Boil 1.5 kg of plain rice, (does dinner and Breakfast about two weeks worth of food),
   When Rice is done boiling toss in 1 package of Chicken Broth
Cook 1 Can of peas (does Dinner and Breakfast) Easier to add this to the rice and mix it evenly

Following makes 2 meals

Mix

1/2 lb of beef, RAW!!!
2 Chicken Livers  RAW!!!
4 Large Spoons of rice,
2 Large Spoons of peas
2 Fish Oil Soft Capsules
1 Large Spoon of apple Cider Vinegar
1 Large Spoon of Sunflower Oil

Mix the Above, Thoroughly
One half of above mixture for EACH breakfast

Dinner
1/4 lb of beef
2 Strainer Spoons of rice (STRAINER SPOONS)
1/2 Strainer spoon of peas
2 crushed Vitamin C pills
1 tbsp of sunflower oil
1 Tbsp of plain yogurt
1 fish oil capsule on each side of dish

Mix above thoroughly, MAkes 2 dinners. I put the meals in a sandwich sized tupperware container for ease
BEfore putting in Fridge place 2 chicken livers/gizzards etc on top of meal(s)
Add a couple Chicken neck/back etc with the serving

As well because Emmy is severely allergic to grass ( she has a tendency to eat it when her tummy gets upset) i toss in a table spoon of crushed tums, she doesnt eat the grass anymore, and thus her allergies are gone.
I have had her for 4 weeks now, she has gone from 4 pills of vanectyl P with morning kibble meal down to zero vanectyl p pills a day.

With this i made a mix of 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar with 2 3/4 cups of water with a full 500 ml jug of baby shampoo. I give her a weekly bath with this. I noticed almost and instant drop in her allergy scratching on her neck.

I hope this helps anyone else with the same issues
Lesson learned..miss ya pumpkin

Keep Michael Vick in jail...

chapsmom

• Weanling
Re: Beef and chicken diet
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 04:55:08 PM »
My boy is also allergic to life! LOL! We had him tested, and gave him shots for awhile. He seems to be better with that, but has yeast issues. We did try to switch him to a raw diet, and it was too rich for him. He developed colitis. So not fun.
 When he was on boiled rice and hamburger, the yeast went away. When he got back on the dry food, yeast came back. So that is the problem right now..........yeast. I'm trying to find a good canned/kibble that is beef based. He is allergic to fish , chicken, pork, and venison. Yikes!
I prefer to have no potato in the food. He isn't allergic to it, but yeast popped up when he started a duck and potato food. And his current food has potato protein in it. So I think there is something to that. Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 05:43:07 PM by BoxerWB »

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 05:46:53 PM »
When you did raw, what exactly were you feeding? I'm wondering because I've never heard of a raw being too "rich" for a pup before (at least that I can recall) and we've had lots of raw fed pups on here. 

For kibble - does anyone near you carry EVO? They have a red meat formula that's made with lamb and beef.  It does have potatoes, but my guess is that the problem was the duck... I haven't heard of a potato allergy yet, but have heard of some dogs being allergic to all poultry.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 05:49:25 PM »
Looks like a nice meal...I too try things, not due to allergies, but because I like cooking or feeding different things to my pups.  
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 09:09:52 AM »
Many times dogs will go through a detox period when switched to raw . It can last a day to a week and some dogs never go through any detox . It is common for dogs to have diahrhea while detoxing , many people ( vets too ) think the food is too rich when it is just the bodys way of adjusting to the new diet .

How long did you have him on raw ?
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 09:24:32 AM »
I remember the first time I fed raw to Phoebe...I actually thought I was killing her...Carolyn (where is that girl anyway) helped me through all that.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

chapsmom

• Weanling
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 04:59:47 PM »
When you did raw, what exactly were you feeding? I'm wondering because I've never heard of a raw being too "rich" for a pup before (at least that I can recall) and we've had lots of raw fed pups on here. 

For kibble - does anyone near you carry EVO? They have a red meat formula that's made with lamb and beef.  It does have potatoes, but my guess is that the problem was the duck... I haven't heard of a potato allergy yet, but have heard of some dogs being allergic to all poultry.
We gave him Stella and Chewy's raw beef patties. It did NOT agree with him.
I have heard of the Evo, but he is allergic to lamb. That's a BIG part of the problem. He is allergic to so many foods, that it's hard to find a combo that he can have.
He is not allergic to potato. But it's my theory that the potato is causing the yeast. Potato is a starch, which converts to sugar, which can cause yeast. That's just what I think. I could be wrong.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 05:08:02 PM »
Pre-made raw often has a mix of thing in it - for a dog with allergies, I would think a switch that started with just one item at a time would be more feasible so you could eliminate any problem ingredients. 
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

chapsmom

• Weanling
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 05:14:53 PM »
Many times dogs will go through a detox period when switched to raw . It can last a day to a week and some dogs never go through any detox . It is common for dogs to have diarrhea while detoxing , many people ( vets too ) think the food is too rich when it is just the bodys way of adjusting to the new diet .

How long did you have him on raw ?
This was not just diarrhea. It was full blown colitis. Bloody, liquid, stool. Totally liquid. It looked like coffee squirting out of the rear! And don't get me started on the smell! Terrible experience.
 We stayed up all night with him. We put the leash on him, and slept sitting up in the chair, with the leash in hand so we would know when he had to go out. Because he had to go so frequently. And there was also oozing. His poor behind was so sore from being wiped. I had to buy him baby wipes.
 He was on boiled hamburger and rice for over a month after that.
Does that give you an idea of how bad it was? LOL

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 05:26:32 PM »
I would hazard a guess it was from the mix, not the fact the food was raw.  It looks like Chewy's includes a fair amount of organ meat, which I know most raw feeders here feed infrequently - I think because it's so rich?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 09:09:45 PM »
Most premade mixes are balanced with the right ratios of organ meat, muscle meat and bone.   So I highly doubt the premade used more organ which caused the issue and leaning more to detox of the system. 

Regardless you can try to pin point what ingredient caused the runs, sit here all day for 10 pages, trust me, I have battled it for years, it will still be a mystery. 

I just sat down on Monday night with the owner of a holistic pet food store.  We have done raw, we have done elimination diets, we have rotated proteins.  We have gone on meds, used sprays, heck I even ordered Chinese Herbs from the UK - nothing works, flare ups happen.

We are now going on a strick fish diet, but using probiotics and a high grade fish oil to build up the immune system because all the meds that we have been taking for the allergies have decreased it.    Treats are fish based and we are feeding Orijen fish kibble.    I am on a two week trial, and then we see what happens.   If she is improving, then we keep doing what we are, and add in some other supplements and or immune system boosters.

Good Luck and will def let anyone know if our plan fish works in a couple of weeks.
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash