Author Topic: Need advice for the pups.  (Read 784 times)

bhatampa

• Fully Weaned
Need advice for the pups.
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:10:56 AM »
Ok, so I just have a few questions about how to train dogs on lead. Would there be any reason why we shouldn't train both of them at the same time, or should we do it seperate. Where would be the ideal/easiest place to start training?

I was searching through the threads and found a post from Kerri (Samson's Mom) and I read that puppies under 3 months should not be walked on concrete or for longer than 15 minutes. ( I can't find the post now). Daisy is 16 weeks.
What is the ideal age to start training them?
Max is about to be 14 months, This is my fault but he has had a leash on just a few times. He doesn't leave the yard so I have no reason(in the past seen no reason) to put one on him climbing in the car. So basically the only time he has had on a leash in when encountering other dogs, which of course (since no training) acts like a maniac and tries to pull my arm off.
I also read that dogs under 18 months should not be subject to long runs or walks. I had planned on taking him with me for the American Heart Association Walk which is 3 miles. Is this a bad idea? Should I leave him at home. I have also reconsidered taking him to Woofstock since he is not trained on lead.

Any knowledge, advice or ideas would be great!
Thanks Guys!

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Need advice for the pups.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 12:19:02 PM »
On my lunch break, so I'll give you some quick answers:

Ideal age to start training: Any age.  Even a fresh-from-the-breeder pup could be trained by just getting them used to a collar and leash. At 16 weeks, your girl is definitely ready for some short, happy sessions.

Best place to start training: Inside your house.  You want to start in a familiar/low-distraction area and move on to more distractions (in small increments) as they master their skills. I generally go house, then yard, then lightly-populated public place.

The AHA walk and Woofstock: I'd skip it. You'd want to train for distance (starting short and slowly adding length) before going 3 miles and you don't have enough time. For both places, I think it'd be stressful for you both to be fighting each other on leash the whole time.  I don't do events like that w/Dash because I know he'd be trying to visit all the people and dogs (and doesn't have the manners that I'd require to allow that), so it'd be no fun for either of us.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Samsons Mom

• Most Improved Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Sir-samps-a-lot :)
    • Samson's Therapy Dog Blog
Re: Need advice for the pups.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 12:31:30 PM »
when samson was a wee pup, i would take him to the park(Not the dog park) to do some leash training so he could walk on the grass.
Keri, owned by- Samson, CGC, Therapy Dog(7/08)