Author Topic: Restraining dog in yard??  (Read 4221 times)

Heidi-n-Koby

• Retired Member
  • Moved On
Re: Restraining dog in yard??
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 09:42:31 PM »
Maybe you should put up just a chain link fence on that one side then.  Its like 50 bucks for a 100 foot roll.  Plus the poles.  So you could probably do that whole side for 100-150 bucks.

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 07:44:39 AM »
If the fence is hers and she bitches that you touch it trying to make it better for your dogs to ignor them or her - I think that maybe you should install some deer fence to put up about6 inches from the reg fence.   Is the common fence chain link or stockage?  If chain link you can put a tarp on the deer fence - this way she cannot touch it or complain because its in your yard.   Also its very inexpensive - we got our at lowes, and for the stakes and the plastic deer fence for about 50 feet it was around 40 bucks.  (we need to section off our pool area from the backyard).
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 08:21:38 AM »
Sounds to me like you don't really have a fenced backyard. You have neighbors who have fenced yards and you are using their fencing on three sides of your yard. She doesn't have to allow you to mend her fence if she breaks it. Sorry but some people are just ignorant like that. I would save up the money and put up my own fence inside all the other fencing. Make sure that you check ordinances to be sure how much room must be left between. You don't want to go through a bunch of work and find out that you had to leave a 2 ft path. Most townships have rules about fencing and such being inside your property line by at least a foot. Meaning that if you dogs are going to her fence they are technically on her property.

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 08:51:23 AM »
Sounds like she is trying to let your dogs get out if she does not want the fence fixed . A bit weird , but you said she is  :mad: .
I agree , get some chain link fence , that way you have something strong to hold your dogs in , and it won't be easy for her to break , just in case she tries it .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 08:58:50 AM »
BUT until you have that fencing up, I would definitely tether them AWAY form her side...she sounds nutso enuff to do something mean/bad to your pups...just a precautionary measure ;)
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

aquagirl900

• Socialized
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 09:33:13 AM »
Yeah, we're both afraid of what she'll escalate to...we don't let pups out for more than it takes to go potty anymore...and we watch them like a hawk...poor pups, they love running in their yard but it it takes restricting outside time to keep them safe, then so be it. 

Hanna Banana

• Best Topics & Most Thought-Provoking Posts - 2008
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Play Nice!
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 09:37:12 AM »
However, by keeping your dogs inside to a minimum, why should they suffer at the expense of others -  Lack of exercise on the dogs part may mean other actions to the inside of the house.   I would really look into some cheap alternative to make a make-shift fence on her side - so that way they can enjoy the yard that you have - ya know?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=92254-000080032-LF40503216&lpage=none

This is what we are using until we put in the chain link this spring.
Heather  - Mom to Hanna Banana & Kash

aquagirl900

• Socialized
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 09:42:12 AM »
oh, they get more exercise now than they did all winter...we take them to a nature trail 3 times a week (2 mile+ trail) and I take them next door to the park to play with kids on leash...so they get exercise...our goal is to have $300 saved in 2 months to put up an entire 6' privacy fence around our whole yard.  They also have been going with us to a friend's house daily the last few days while we hellp him paint/move...he has a backyard bigger than our whole property!

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 09:49:49 AM »
Is it possible that the her fence is inside her property line? Our neighbors across the street have a fence kinda in the middle of their property line. So if you used her fence to keep your dogs in, they may still be on her line. I'd have a survey of your property done to make sure that it is infact your yard.

$300 for a 6ft privacy fence isn't going to get you much fence. But in the meantime, I'd definitely go with the yard guard to keep them contained with your property. This lady sounds like a lunatic! Good luck!
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 09:53:10 AM »
I had to put up a 4' plastic chicken wire fencing to keep the pups from rutting, any worse, the area they stand at barking at the neighbors dog.  It seems to be working for them.  And the cost was very cheap for 50 foot of fencing.  However if you used snow fence it is even cheaper.  I also used plastic fence posts...I think for what  did it cost me about 50 and I didn't need all the posts I bought.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 09:54:41 AM »
I didn't think of the fence not being on her property . You should be able to get plot maps / plans at city hall ( or whatever you have there ) if you did not get them when you bought your house . I can give you ideas of where the property line is without the $$ of having the lot surveyed .
 :sunny:
Missi

aquagirl900

• Socialized
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 09:56:07 AM »
The fence seems to be right on the property line...it's exactly 1/2 way between the two houses (the houses are about 6-10 feet apart)...so about 5 feet to each house in both directions.  I found a deal of craigslist for the privacy fencing- 17 8' wide prices for 300 plus the posts are included...we have a smallish yard and that should fence at least her side of the yard, the back of the yard, and the front of the yard and the majority of the side facing the park.  How can you get ideas of the property line?

I"m calling animal control today on them...give them a taste of their own medicine...last year when she let her dog attack Bo...they didn't have any dog licenses...were supposed to get some..I noticed two days ago that their blue pit (who actually seems like a nice dog, especially compared to her 4-5 other evil pits) isn't wearing the license on it's collar...so I"m gonna call AC and see about what's going on...with a park full of kids 2 doors down from her, she needs to keep those animals legal...

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 10:08:14 AM »
Just be careful about reporting her . you already know she will do things to hurt your dogs . If you do call on her I bet she will know it is you and retaliate .
Missi

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 10:10:25 AM »
I would call your town's code enforcement office and ask them exactly what you are and aren't allowed to do with your dogs in your yard.

As for the locaiton of your property line...You should have gotten a title survey with your title when you closed on the house.  Call the person who closed the house you with you (Lawyer) and ask for a copy
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 10:10:44 AM »
I agree with Missi.  It doesn't make any sense to me to go tit for tat with her.  Let her be elementary, you be college.
Vicky