Author Topic: So mad at Petco!  (Read 2042 times)

Bugsys Mom

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • I love you man!!
So mad at Petco!
« on: March 26, 2007, 11:29:42 AM »
Saturday I went shopping in Duluth with my MIL.  We went to Petco and they had only crappy dog food and I bought some Natural Balance that I am not happy with.  Anyway, at the checkout they have these magazines about differnt dog breeds.  There was one for a Boxer and it cost $10.00.  I looked through it and didn't buy it because I can learn alot more on here for free. 
They also had one called "Designer Dogs" and they had a pic of a puggle and a Labradoodle on the front cover.  I asked the girl at the checkout about it and she said they are flying off the shelves because everyone wants a designer dog!!  WTF??!!! 
I asked her if they still did pet adoptions there and she said yes.  I then told her that I thought it was terrible to sell this magazine while there are thousands of "Designer Dogs" in shelters that Petco tries to help out by having adoption days.  She didn't know what to say to me.  I know it wasn't her fault.  THe guy at the other checkout said, "We sell what sells"  apparently meaning that they are going to keep selling the magazine because people will keep buying it. 
I don't think I will go there anymore.
Vicky

r.fuentes

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: So mad at Petco!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 11:36:36 AM »
Grrrr!!  I wouldnt go back to that store either.  :no:
RITA-mom to: Sadie, Ty & Powie

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 11:42:35 AM »
Oh eww... how can you support adoption and promote designer pets at the same time... so stupid!!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

ltournat

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:39:12 PM »
it's annoying, but not much they can do about it...it's supply and demand
________
~Lisa, mom to Felix~

Christen83

• Socialized
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 12:52:34 PM »
They have those in the book section at our Petsmart too.  Seth went off about it last time we were there.

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 01:17:11 PM »
That is so stupid! I hate those stupid "designer dogs!" Argh!
Riley - 9/19/2008

PoseidonsMom

• Socialized
  • The eyes are the window to the soul
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 01:43:44 PM »
I refuse to step foot in PetCo on principle since a lot of the pets they sell are horribly cared for. I've never seen such nasty cage conditions in the reptile section, and the arachnids they sell are kept horribly. If I have to go to a big chain store I go to PetSmart. They don't sell arachnids at all, and their reptile enclosures are much better.

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 04:33:30 PM »
I would stop going there but also write a letter or email to the company telling them why you aren't going to come back.
Amber

JugglingWolves

• Vet Checked
  • Mom, make sure you get my good side!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 05:48:20 PM »
I agree with Amber.

When I quit going somewhere, I let them know why!

I haven't seen the Designer Dogs magazine. I have seen the Boxer one that they was $15 for here! I would be asking questions about the designer dogs one if I'd seen it. I think I'm about to stop shopping there anyway because I'm going to switch to Canidae. Keenan still loves to go there to pick out puppy treats from their treat bar, though.

Miguel

• Funniest Member - 2008
  • Socialized
  • I'll Woo Woo You!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 05:20:11 PM »
That's horrible. The guy who was at the second checkout sounds to be the manager or a smart butt.

With this situation, I have two different opinions.

I would blame the company not the actual employees. I see it as the employees are there to obtain $ for their expenses. As for the girl, it sounds to me that she is not well informed about much of the business (pet stores, puppy mills, breeders, back yard breeders etc.). So I am not surprised that she works there and not have second thoughts about it.

As for the other guy, his story seems to be a bit more different. He sounds like he migth know a bit more about the issue but still works there. I guess he is more money driven than anything else. His statement "we sell what sells" really bothers me because it's something I do not believe in (especially when it harms other animals or people). He's an ass and really irritates me.

As for the company, these are the poeple to blame and complain to. They are the pupetteirs (sorry I spelled that wrong). How can a company do this? Act like they care for pets....I just don't get it.

I am sorry. I wish people were less money driven. Mayber the world would be a better place for our pets.

Today I am actually going to a small pet store named "Animal Feeds and Needs" to buy Pepino his food. I am trying reducing my business with PetCo, PetSmarts, etc. and giving that profit to stores like Animal Feeds and Needs.  :thumbsup:
:hat::guitarist::jester::mickey::smart: Pepino's :cheeky::sombrero::afro::hat2::gag: Rockin' :clown::toff::sunny::straitjacket::mad: Daddy :devilish::antlers::cloud9::party3::drummer: